OMG, It's doing it again..

LumiDriver

Well, on my way to school this morning..lala, i might actually be on time for once. Stopped and got gas..got a little pass the gas station...HOT HOT HOT the damn hot light comes on. It acting like I have air in the system..and my low coolant light is a common sight in my car. It ran perfect since i bled the system, but now, since it got cold out, it gets super hot..i actually smelled something burning. THe T-stat closes at random temperatures..i knwo this cause my heat goes cold..and it was 18 degrees out today.

New Thermo, new coolant, flush was about 1k miles ago. I don't know anymore.Could it be the radiator cap with an air leak? I though that it was probably letting air into the system...I don't know what to anymore. it's gotten to the point where i may have to sell the car because its beginning to nickel and dime me every month...and I can't afford that..Anyone know anything?

are you sure you have a good thermo? any signs of water leakage? is the oil milky or high? the 3100 suffer LIM leaks sometimes. my 95 CS, same motor, runs hot because of a leaky heater core.

You might also look at the waterpump to make sure it isn't 'weeping'

Yah i've checked the oil, water pump and my exhaust doesnt smell of coolant. Waterpump isnt leaking..the thermo could be questionable, but its oem so..nothign leaking..my heater core doesnt leak..i have no clue whats going on.

the burning smell was my engine being hotter than fire lol. but i don't believe im losing coolant, but I may be..i figured the coolant sensor was broken. Timmy and I check the fluid and put more in than necessary..so have to be losing some..but where?

the LIM can leak to the outside as well as into the oil. check the valley edges for signs... If you suspect the coolant temp sensor is acting up... replace it. Do you smell Antifreeze at any particular time?

p.s. I've heard of waterpumps that underperform because scalloping has eaten away the blades. maybe worth checking. but they're cheap so if in doubt replacee.

nope, never smell antifrozen lol. Ill check the valley edges..but i dont ever remember seeing coolant anywhere, it only seems to do this when its cold as fuck outside..never had an issue during the summer..

replace the cts and go from there. i do believe mine is on it's way out. every so often the temp guage will be a little over 3/4 way to 260 then fluctuate from 180-the 3/4 way before eventually returning to 180 and back to normal. i got one, also still sitting on the o2........

well, it took me an hour and a half to get home tongith because of the snow. Poor car..but it ran beautifully, no temp problems, the low coolant light went on a few times, but thats nothign new, but I had heat the entire way home! I have no clue what is going on with my car...

The thermo is original?? Replace it. Even if you just replaced it, its not unknown for them being bad right out of the box. Next time it does it, hop out and massage the upper rad hose. If the thermo is sticking, that can usually coax it lose and it'll open up and drop your temp right away.

yeah, about the OEM thermo... He did say it was new... Do you mean the 195 degree thermo when you say OEM?

Speaking of which... my vert had the factory ac delco therm in it when i bought it. And cardboard blocking the radiator since the thermo had been dead for five years... on a 3.1, the easiest thermo to replace in the world!(don't contradict me, I know GM made an easier to change on in some 4 cylinder but it doesn't count)

I would assume that the thermo may be ok, but keep adding fluid and watching for leaks.

corning_d3, you mean 3100 You're making my head spin!

3.1 90-93 and 94 lumina,

3100 -3 94+ excluding 94 lumina

I do agree that the 3100 thermo location is a PITA (I pop off the crossmember to for clearance and use antiseize on the threads when I reattach)

but the 3.1 is Child's Play, 2 bolts and it pops out the top.

And I believe there is no advantage to using a 180 degree thermo in our cars, it may give you an extra horse of power, but specifically read the link about thermos:

http://60degreev6.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=6

And I believe there is no advantage to using a 180 degree thermo in our cars, it may give you an extra horse of power, but specifically read the link about thermos:

http://60degreev6.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=6

You didn't read that link well enough, as it's about 160* stats. I have a 180* stat myself, so they are available for our cars.

I've heard it's availible, but I haven't got a parts number for it...

I know it doesn't touch the topic of the 180 thermo. But I wouldn't recommend them, the car WAS designed to use a 195. I feel that the 180 thermo might contribute to issues the same way a 160 may, but to a lesser degree.

Well, I had school today, when I went it started doing it again, heat up, cool down, an the hot light only came one 1 time. About 20 minutes into the drive, it started acting normal, the heat worked, and it stayeed right aroung 200 degrees, so im still gonna work on that air thing, bleed it tomorrow (in class now) Thanks for all your help!