Silverstar info

supreme_style21

Anyone ever have Silverstars last longer than a year? Or even 6 months? My foglights lasted a month. I know too many people who say the same about their headlight bulbs.

I called Sylvania and asked them about it. The rep said you're lucky if it makes it a year. They have a lifespan of about 150 hours, then they're shot he says. Just for some kind of backup, a coworker called and got the same response. I consider that a ripoff. Thats a lot of money to spend for the short lifespan. I'll never buy the damn things again. I never really cared for them to begin with.

I've had them in my Prix since May sometime. Not a problem yet. And I have the DRL's too....

So bascailly my headlights and fogs are still good even after that time. So I dunno...bad batch of bulbs? Been known to happen....

Well I had them in my old GP and they made it almost a year, then they both went out within hours of each other. My foglights made it a month and they also went out within ONE hour of each other. My Silverstars in my GP now are about 10 months along, so I've been expecting a replacement soon. Most of my friends have gotten them and had the same luck as me. Either way, just relaying the message I got from Sylvania.

I've put over 10k miles on mine since May. No problems whatsoever.

And thats why I won't spend $30 a bulb.

Damn, where the hell do you shop? Can get a two pack here for 35-40 bucks...

FUcking shit...mine better last or I'll be pissed off :x :evil: :devil: :verymad: . I spent a little over $100 cdn on both 9006 and 9005 bulbs for my car. I took extra care not to touch them or anything...and they went in with not being touched on the glass...and they didn't touch the back of the headlight either.

Well fuck is all I can say. If this is true they only last a year fuck them up ass :(:(:(:(::( I'll be pissed if they burn out soon.

I pulled the original halogens (15 years old) and they still worked fine...I expected the same, but I'm guessing with my luck these days they'll burn out tomororw

Thats six months. Mileage doesn't mean anything. I can put ten grand on a car without using the headlights.

And the prices are the same around here... 25 bucks a bulb!

I heard that for any halogen you should not handle them with bare hands because the slightest about of oil from your skin could create a hot spot on the bulb and that will shorten its life. I've had siverstar headlights for probably 2 years now and no problems.

I heard that for any halogen you should not handle them with bare hands because the slightest about of oil from your skin could create a hot spot on the bulb and that will shorten its life.

You heard right.

Thats six months. Mileage doesn't mean anything. I can put ten grand on a car without using the headlights.

And the prices are the same around here... 25 bucks a bulb!

No no, I meant 10K miles of night driving. Well, actually early morning, but I still had the headlights on. :P

i had 2 foglights blow within a month...but, i got them replaced @ the parts store where i bought em...i've had em swapped into my mini-quads since september 2004 with no problems though...

• 1 month later...

I've heard that the sealed beam headlamps don't have the same problem. They're pretty popular on the Jeep boards, so maybe the capsules are handled improperly before we get our hands on them? Might be worth the time to clean them wth alcohol regardless of if you touch them. This is exactly why I run sylvania superblues in my CS and silverstars in the Ventura, which uses sealed beams. Between being sealed beams and the fact that I hardly drive the car at all, I expect them to last almost forever.