car delays before turning over

joey b

Sometimes, mainly when cold outside, when I turn the key it doesn't turn over. I hold the key in the start position for about 2-3 full seconds and it turns over and starts with no problem at all.

BTW, with a new alt and UD pulley my DIS tells me that my volts run 11.7 to 12.5 at idle, primarily in the 11.7 range. Seems a lil low.

My car dos that once in a while.. Is your Cutty equipped with VATS? Mine is.. Watch for the Security light if you have this system.. Mine did it this morning in fact..

How old are your battery cables? People tend to overlook the cables as a source of a "no start" problem. With age, the wires break down and will actually impede the amperage flow to a high amp-drawing device such as the starter.

Before you go through the trouble of replacing the cables, check all of the connections at the battery, the aux terminal, and the engine ground...

A fully charged 12 volt battery is around 12.7 volts.

If it is under 12 volts, you have a problem....

x2 My Cutlass's Driver's Information System would always tell me high 12/low 13s for voltage whenever the motor was on. Your 11.7 is pretty weak, thats about what I got with the car off. How olds your battery? And as said, check cable connections..

My DIS.. I don't even know if it's right or not. When I first start the car, it'll stay around 13.9-14.5 and after I drive hard and stop, it'll be like 12.9-13.3, but even when it's in the 12's, the charge light won't come on.

My DIS.. I don't even know if it's right or not. When I first start the car, it'll stay around 13.9-14.5 and after I drive hard and stop, it'll be like 12.9-13.3, but even when it's in the 12's, the charge light won't come on.

I believe the charge light doesn't come on until you hit 10 volts.

92- no vats. When my car is off I have 12+ volts. The battery is about a year old and the alternator about 3 months. Ever since I changed the engine I have had this situation. That was 45K miles ago. I've replaced the alternator twice since then, but I think it had to do with the 170 Amp capacity of the alternator (Higher amps burn out voltage regulators faster)