I've got a question

GutlessSupreme

Why the hell are we still using stock exhaust manifolds and crossover pipes?

Granted without a bigger turbine I don't know how much of a difference they'd make anyway, but from what I've seen even people upgrading turbos are still using the piss poor excuses for pipes that GM gave us. The exhaust manifolds don't exactly look like they flow all that well, and the crossover pipe... they have fucking outward creases on the rear bank's side! way to bend pipes GM! I'm not that knowledgable on exhaust flow but we all know the crossover has more to it's shit quality than just the flex bellows.

As I said I know we have bigger problems (turbo & head flow) but I don't think I've ever seen a topic covering a custom crossover or manifolds, besides saying that equal length headers couldn't be built because of fitment.

k. that's my story. discuss.

We've already discussed this a little when Shane(RedZMonte) was interested in making mandrel bend x-overs. Honestly, I don't think the factory one is that bad of a design. Like you mentioned, I would start with an upgraded turbo(GT28RS or bigger) and work from there. I don't see the factory manifolds and x-over as being a drawback until we are in the 350+ HP range. I'm thinking that our heads are probably more a bottleneck than the manifolds and x-over. I realize you mentioned pretty much everything I've said, but I don't think there is anyone on this board besides Jud and maybe Jeff M. that is over the power level needed for it to be a big drawback.

One of the biggest things before we get carried away with higher performance is having something that will harness the power without leaving a big oil slick down the middle of the road. For the auto and 5-speed guys.

That is being worked on now by folks in the CO Springs area.

Other nifty difty things are coming in Spring. You have my word on that! 8)

One of the biggest things before we get carried away with higher performance is having something that will harness the power without leaving a big oil slick down the middle of the road. For the auto and 5-speed guys.

That is being worked on now by folks in the CO Springs area.

Other nifty difty things are coming in Spring. You have my word on that! 8)

I don't think you could pay me enough to use a getrag 282 :P :D

You might change that statement in Spring when the SUPER Duty 282 is released! :wink: :lol: I just posted in Curtis' thread about blowing trannies...give it a read. 8)

You might change that statement in Spring when the SUPER Duty 282 is released! :wink: :lol: I just posted in Curtis' thread about blowing trannies...give it a read. 8)

Enlighten me...................... :D

I am currently working with two seperate tranny shops here in Colorado Springs. One that will gaurantee 500ft/lbs of torque through the 282 and the other is trying to see what it will take parts and money wise to get a reliable 4t60HD that will also handle a minimum of 500ft/lbs.

They think they know what internals they will need for the 4t60SD (super duty) conversion to actually handle 600ft/lbs. These are crank specs. Now like both shops have said...the reliable output of 500-600ft/lbs does not mean that is the limit..but will handle that torque rating on a daily driver reliability.

I am working on it and the tranny shop for the manual has a tranny dyno that will put these things (both auto and manual) through their paces and max them out. See what components wear at these load tests and what are apt to fail.

It will all come together in spring and I am investing about $6000 into both projects between initial build costs and tranny dyno time. I give my word that by March-April I will have something for both auto and manual guys and a max torque guarantee rating.

There are other things on the horizon for the Vin V...but those are being kept quiet for now. Spring will be the unvailing for those projects also. 8)

sounds good kenny. im going to try to build a beefy-ass 60e from scratch with parts from trannies my dad's shop has and new stuff this summer. his partner might be building a 65 for tim next spring too.