in midst of brake proj. need modification advice

timoiii

Gang,

I have a 91 cutty that I am upgrading the brakes. Everything is running smoothly (if you neglect having to buy three calipers because a bolt broke off and you destroyed your tap). In order for the caliper to travel unobstucted, there is a flange holding a rubber spring/cushion that needs to be modified. The link below will take you to a photo of what I am talking about.

http://wave.prohosting.com/timoiii/

On the pic, if i "cut along the dotted line", will that cause any problems with the cushion? In a broader sense what kind of liberty can I take with that flange? If you have done this before, I would love to hear what you did and how it worked.

Thanks,

Timo

that or elce you could take out the 2 bump stoppers al together.....

there not on the GP's/lumies/regals... I guess I dont see why there even there on the cuttys....

So are you guys implying that this bump stopper keeps you from banging things together when your car comes back to earth after flying through the air like the General Lee? Other than upon return entry, would I notice any degregation in ride if I up an removed those things?

The only thing that worries me about removing it is that the flange is mounted with the same two bolts to the strut that everything else is. I haven't looked into what the ramifications are if I take those out. Will there be any difficulties trying to get everying back together. Ah idea, I can put a bolt through the other side, the same time that I am removing one from the other. That should keep things together.

I still would like some input on the ramifications of removing the bumpstopper.

Thanks,

Timo

It's not really a bumpstopper, but an auxilliary spring working against the main spring.

In my experience, it softens the rear suspension and reduces rear ride height. Removing it stiffens the rear and increases ride height, in my case, about 3/4".

I left mine out, but my rear spring is a little too stiff and the rear end rides a little too high.

Gang,

I chose to cut the flange. I also had to cut the auxillary spring as well. Now you can see the modification before and after shots on the page below. I also made a mod to the caliper, which might not have been necessary given what I did to the flange and spring. I will post a pic of that on the page at some undetermined future date.

http://wave.prohosting.com/timoiii/

Its nothing spectacular, but I used color for the arrow and oval this time. OOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!

Thanks for your help guys!

Timo