motor oil

rookie 29

If it is turbo'd you should only run Synthetic! :yak: Just my opinion... :lol: In n/a cars that I have had Castrol GTX at the weight specified by the engine builder has worked best... 8)

Guest Anonymous

Nothing but Mobil 1 for me. Synthetic blend in the TGP and reg. in everything else.

I used Castrol GTX in the TGP once. I left it in for about 2 days. I had a very, very light rod knock and after I used the Castrol I thought the rods were all coming out through the block. That's when I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic blend.

Straight up Mobil 1 Synthetic. its rated #2 as a motor oil, second only to Amsol. Amsol runs 10 degrees cooler than Mobil1 but its very hard to find it. Its not as readily available as Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 10W-30 Synthetic for my 89 Supreme...have only had 3 oil changes done with it so far, and everything just sounds quieter and smoother...the oil is also quite a bit cleaner every 3k miles...

The only diferance's I've noticed is that it stays alittle cleaner and I havn't lost any oil due to heat. When I was using plain old Halvoline oil it started getting pretty dark at about 1,500 miles and I had to add about a 1/2 quart around 2,500. I am very strict about doing 3,000 mile oil changes so I'm not sure if its worth the extra $$$ to keep using Max Life. How ever before I started using Max Life w/Ac Delco filter I was using Halvoline w/Fram filter, so the filter could have been causing part of my problem. Now that I have read so much crap about fram :puke: I just sticking with delco 8)

Damn Wal mart at home doesnt sell AC Delco anything. I changed my oil yesterday before I left to come back up to college and was going to change to AC Delco after hearing bad things about Fram, but they didnt offer AC Delco. So, I got Fram. However, I have never had any problems with Fram. The old oil is always pretty clean, still is ver brown, never black. I do leak oil, but that is coming from the timing cover gasket, which I dont think Im going to change, too much work. The only way that will get changed is if I take my engine out.

Robby

im using something they put at Precition Tune Auto Care wit a MONTSER FILTER, no its not big or huge, thats the name of it (???), looks pretty small if you ask me..

i have to change the oil cuz my Pree didnt like it one bit....it already burned a whole quart and the dip stick oil is dark dark brown, smells like gasoline a bit too...

i have used Valvoline FUll SyntecPower and the car ran perfect, no noises like now, but it ate it up 2 fast :shock: ...i was wondering if anyone else here had the same problem wit sythetics, them dissapearing too fast??

I would strongly recommend schaffers 15-40 synthetic to everyone with the 3.4L DOHC engine. I run that in my 3.4 and it seems to me that the car runs quieter and smoother on hard acceleration. It's an open molecule base oil that carries more dirt away from moving parts of the engine. It cost about 3.50 to 4.00 bucks a quart but to me it worth every penny :D :!:

do the oils that say they are formulated for higher life engines realy do anything? Anybody try them?

I would like to know this also... 8)

Well, when I had my 94 Euro, I ran just conventional Vavoline 5W-30. Between oil changes (3k), It would use about half a quart of oil. When I switched to the Vavoline Max Life, after about 3 oil changes, I wasn't using any oil at all, so it did work for me. I think it was Shawn that advised against NOT using it because it causes alot of sludge build up in the engine. I haven't had any experiences like that. When I change the Max Life oil, it comes out fairly clean, and very smooth.

Aaron

Damn Wal mart at home doesnt sell AC Delco anything. I changed my oil yesterday before I left to come back up to college and was going to change to AC Delco after hearing bad things about Fram, but they didnt offer AC Delco. So, I got Fram. However, I have never had any problems with Fram. The old oil is always pretty clean, still is ver brown, never black. I do leak oil, but that is coming from the timing cover gasket, which I dont think Im going to change, too much work. The only way that will get changed is if I take my engine out.

Robby

Buy the Walmart Super Tech before Fram. Super Tech is made by Champion Labs. Open a AC Delco sometime then a Super Tech, compare them to each other (inside holes, top holes, recirc rubber), then a Fram. You'll see!

After buying my DOHC i changed the oil as soon as I got home. It looked slightly burnt but not too badly, just figured the previous owner didn't change it often enough. Put regular oil in and 3k later I go to change it and the oil is lumpy, pitch black, and otherwise burnt to hell. Put Mobil1 5w30 in and no more burning, it even stopped burning the quart per 300 miles like it was on regular oil.

I use Napa stuff.

I have a NAPA gold filter now. THen, I use the premium blend (sounds like coffee ) that they make. And the weight is whatever my dad thinks would be the best, or whats on that cap.

Yall should see my buddy max. Hes a stufed animal, but an NAPA oil filter.

Jon

Oh, the reason I use NAPA stuff is the quality i have seen in them, and that my step mom is a manager at one. That and my dads shop only orders NAPA parts.

Jon

just changed the oil to Valvoline DuraBlend 10W-30 wit a BOSCH Premium Oil Filter (cost more so i figured they work better....)

By the way, how would the Valvoline VR1 Race Oil 30 work on the DOHC??