I'm getting a HUD and DIC in a few days....how do I install?

AWeb80

I'm getting a HUD, DIC, dashpad and outside temp sensor from a '94 car, how do I install this?

How do I put the new dashpad in and hook up the HUD and DIC and wire the temp sensor?

I may know alot about fabricating stuff (ex. Doorsills and RSTB) but I am a dummy when it come to this.

How do I do stuff the fastest and without breaking stuff?

Here are pics of the stuff i'm putting in.

HUD and Switch

DIC and temp sensor

Dashpad

Guest Anonymous

The dashpad pops off using a flathead screwdriver. Take out the cubby where the DIC is, and there are two plugs, one for teh dic (the larger one) and the hud (smaller one). The HUD one is tucked all the way back, you cant see it, but its there. Th dic pops right in that space. the hud just sits (you can bolt it) and plugs right in... and the dashpad snaps on. its insanely easy.

The dashpad pops off using a flathead screwdriver. Take out the cubby where the DIC is, and there are two plugs, one for teh dic (the larger one) and the hud (smaller one). The HUD one is tucked all the way back, you cant see it, but its there. Th dic pops right in that space. the hud just sits (you can bolt it) and plugs right in... and the dashpad snaps on. its insanely easy.

:werd: You may have to search for the harness plugs. They're buried straight back behind the cubby. The HUD is easy as hell too, you'll have to route the plug. No fabrication required. Thanks GM!!

EDIT: Wait, I just realized you've got a temp sensor to wire in! That's a little more work. There's really no other way to do that than to extend the wiring. Right now, I half-assed it and put the temp sensor under the dash. :lol: So it's always wrong.

Basically you'll have to tap into the two wires coming out of the back of the DIC harness that correspond to the temp sensor wires, and use more wiring to extend them outside the car if you want it there. I don't know if there's wiring up under your hood latch, because that's where it mounts. There was no harness there on my car, and I was too lazy to wire it properly at the time. :lol:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5713&highlight=dic+sensor

There's pretty much all I could find about the DIC temp sensor. I can't remember which two wires off the DIC harness you tap into. Maybe someone else knows off the top of their head.

You GP guys are lucky...I had to do all custom wiring to get the DIS and HUD into my Cutlass not to mention actually getting another dashbpad, chopping a big hole in it with a utitlity knife and a dremel (burning myself)...Freaking crazy.

I guess GP's aren't like the CS where you have to have auto climate control to have the HUD plugs.

You should see how many custom wiring harnesses there are in my car!!! lol

You GP guys are lucky...I had to do all custom wiring to get the DIS and HUD into my Cutlass not to mention actually getting another dashbpad, chopping a big hole in it with a utitlity knife and a dremel (burning myself)...Freaking crazy.

I guess GP's aren't like the CS where you have to have auto climate control to have the HUD plugs.

You should see how many custom wiring harnesses there are in my car!!! lol

Yes.. We should.. Some interior pics would be nice as well.. I have a custom idea in mind and in operation for my oldsmobile.. Err.. Oldsmobling.. Yea.. Okay..

Seriously, I just put a screwdriver under the dashpad and it comes out....cool.

How do I get teh cubby out for teh DIC?.....i have no clue how to take the dash apart...

Basically you'll have to tap into the two wires coming out of the back of the DIC harness that correspond to the temp sensor wires, and use more wiring to extend them outside the car if you want it there. I don't know if there's wiring up under your hood latch, because that's where it mounts. There was no harness there on my car, and I was too lazy to wire it properly at the time.

So basically, just cut the wire and insert longer wire and then crimp the ends back together to extend the tempsensor to the front bumper?.....

What wires are for the temp sensor?

I'm getting this stuff from Heza and he said he has a wiring diagram for the tempsensor, i'll see what it says.

two 7mm screws for the panel that covers the radio, sorta hard to get to, more 7mm screws will become visible after removed, remove them and carefully pull the gauge bezel off. i think thats it. actually there are more 7mm screws on the underside and you have to pull out the friction fittings and remove the carpet thingy. think thats it. maybe

yeah damn it...im gonna pull out my service manual for the ports on the wiring. really simple...but ill get them...everything else is how explained. it is as easy as i said it was! told you so!

tomorrow ill pull out my service manual and let you know the wires and where they need to go.

Pull off the radio bezel (there's screws underneath the dash for that, I LEARNED THAT THE HARD WAY yanking on it and breaking them.) and there's screws in front you can see, and then start from the right side and pull. It literally pulls out as a one piece deal. Set that aside, like in the back, and then the cubbies pull right out.

I wish I'd taken detailed pics.

I wish I'd taken detailed pics.

Don't worry... 8)

Crap, I gotta take my radio out...it is such a pita to get back int....

antanea (sp?)

3 RCA cables

and the wire harness.....and not much space.

o well.

O, I understood that I had to take the radio out to get the front dash cover off..:shrug:

good luck getting the radio out with the bezel in the way. you need to take the bezel off to get the radio out.

BTW: wiring for that temp sensor....

ok...the trip computer connecter is laid out like this if youre looking straight at it:

Row A 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Row B 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

B7 - yellow - ambient air outside temp sensor ground

B4 - light green/black - ambient air outside air temp sensor signal

the temp sensor has pigtails with those wires already...you just gotta get wires to the connector to the back of the trip computer.

• 3 months later...

I have a 95 GP and I am installing the HUD unit right now. It looks like I have the 2nd Gen HUD. I have the wiring diagram from 2nd GEN to 1st GEN. Now how do I pull each wire out of its pin hole. I took the blue piece out of the connector and it moves more just doesn't come out. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Edit: I kind figured out how to get the pins out now. I was in the process of swapping out each pin and now I am stuck. I moved B4 to A2. Now where does A2 go?

HUD_Con.gif

So the wire that says B4 Move to Pin A2 I don't need?

And also it has 2 wires going into A7. Do I splice on that part?

Edit: I just matched up all the colors like the 2nd GEN HUD is. I left the GRY/BLK one hanging because I don't know what to do with it yet. I left the brown one in A2 because when I leave the GRY/BLK wire in A2 then my Check Guages light stays on and it says my brights are on. When I plug the brown one in everything seems to work how it is suppose to.

Now the GRY/BLK wire is left and I don't know where to plug it in.

Alright, thanks Aweb. I been driving without the HUD Dash pad on because I don't want to take it back off again once it is in. On te wire dagram you sent me it never said take the GRY/BLK wire out so I wasn't to sure on what to do. What does that wire do anyways? I seen there was a description but I still didn't understand it.

Yes everything works so far that I know of. When i first plugged it in and left it like it was it kept on telling me Check Guages and saying my brights were on. But then I figured it was a 97+ because what you had posted before when you were doing yours. I had saved the wire diagram on my computer so i wouldn't lose it.

Who is the other person that has the 97+ HUD?