ABS on a CS

NORBI

Here is the question. On the junk yard i go to there is a 94 Cutlass Supreme 4 door with ABS brakes. I was wondering if the brakes on that car are different (talking calipers and rotors) then my 88 CS, and if i took that with speed sensors would it be easy to install ABS on my car. Where is the ABS computer located on a 94 CS, and what do i need to take besides sensors, computer and whole unit by the master cylinder.

Thanks Guys.

I put it on my 91 Cutlass.

You'll need:

Master cylinder/modulator unit

All brake lines

All fuel lines (yes, fuel lines)

All wiring

All speed sensors and wiring, and the light driver module

ABS Computer (Located on the inside of the driver front fender)

It's not an easy task, but very possible. You need to fuel lines because your lines now have a cylinder mounted to the line which interferes with the ABS master cylinder/modulator unit. I guess you could bend it out of the way, but I think there was another reason I replaced to fuel lines...something about fittment of the ABS master cylinder unit. I can't remember for sure.

The other brake differences between your 88 and the 94 are, other than the ABS, the 94 brakes have a larger brake booster, and the rear brake setup. I did the bigger booster swap too. As long as you have an automatic, that bigger brake booster will fit no problem. Direct bolt-on.

Also the 95-96+ cars have larger front rotors, with bigger brackets on the strut assemblies to accomidate the larger rotors. Front calipers are all the same. So here's a quick run-down of the best brake improvment items:

#1 Add larger brake booster

#2 Swap front strut assemblies, and install larger rotors

#3 Install the newer rear calipers, and figure out the e-brake cable thing.

These things will improve the spongy w-body brakes considerably. The ABS will be nice in slick weather, but you won't get the car to stop any faster on the dry pavement like you will with the larger booster/rotors/calipers.

Jason

I don't know how much you can get all that stuff for, but I have an ABS setup out of a 96 Monte Carlo Z34 I don't need. I lost the front wheel speed sensors, but I have the ABS computer, master cylinder, and ABS modulator.

I will probably take out everything out of that 94 CS, but do you think i should take rotors too or wont make a difference and calipers and where is the speed sensor exacly located on them. This week i will go and remove master cylinder and computer. Where is located a light driver module isnt that the ABS computer in a fender? And also how hard is it to connect together.

I remember once there was a 89 CS with ABS and it had a computer under a passanger seat was that diffferent kind of an abs.

Front rotors and calipers won't make a difference, they are the same. Rear rotors and calipers are different, 94+ design.

Front speed sensors are inside the knuckle behind the hub. Rear speed sensors are built into the rear hubs.

89 CS had a different ABS, it had the PowerMaster III. I don't know anything about light driver modules. The 94 computer is next to the steering column under dash.

is it a big silver box on the left side of the steering colums because i saw something like that on that car. And how hard is it to connect everything, because i read that one of the GM ABS systems is easy and other very hard to connect to make it work..

Yes, I think what you found is the ABS computer.

I don't think connecting it is THAT hard. It's definitely a project, but it's pretty much the only ABS that's bolt-in. PowerMaster III should not be considered because it's overly complex and overly expensive.

One more question about it.

When i install a cylinder do i have to connect everything to make it work or i can still drive on a new cylinder without connecting it. What i am trying to say i dont have time one day to finish it and just installed a master cylinder can i still drive a car with it not connected and will have regular brakes, or do i have to connect everything at once even for regular brakes to work.

Thanks a lot..

I think Jason would know better than I would, but I'm almost certain the modulator is "normally open" meaning your brakes should work normally even with the electrical stuff disconnected.

Be aware that you will probably need to bleed the ABS modulator though.

Yeah, driving with nothing hooked up (electronics) is OK.

The light driver module I think on the 94 is located inside the glove box access hole. Otherwise it's located near the steering column, on the right hand side taped to some other wiring. It's a green rectangle like box with a plug on one end.

Don't forget the brake and possibly fuel lines!

jason

I'm working on ABS swap rigt now from PM IV to ABS VI on my 91

5 speed GTP, I have wiring diagrams for 92 GTP and 92, 93 Cavalier

If you need help let me know.

Pozdrowienia z Kanady

I'dont know for sure if they are the same but i can send them to you anyway. Wiring itself is simple. EBCM locations are different depending on the year

92-93 front inside left fender

94+ inside the car