Signal Lights not working

f_399

My signal lights and hazards are not working!

when I press on my brakes and turn the signal, the brake light on the directon of my turn signal turns off

checked fuses and they are good

i need help coz i might get stopped by a cop

the signal light in the guage cluster doesnt work either

i dont think this is something i could do, i called GM and told tem the problem and what it could possibly be, they said it could cost me $500!!!!!!

Is there anyone in Texas who could help me?

the signal light in the guage cluster doesnt work either

i dont think this is something i could do, i called GM and told tem the problem and what it could possibly be, they said it could cost me $500!!!!!!

Is there anyone in Texas who could help me?

Dude, GM's going to tell you anything they want over the phone. Try replacing the signal switch. With your car, it'll need done eventually.

Wow, only 5 hundred, you say? What a deal! :lol:

The indicator in the dash doesn't work because none of the indicators are getting any juice. Once you replace the switch, they'll work again.

But seriously dude, have some confidence in yourself! You were brave enough to join up on a forum for your particular car, so that must mean you have some inkiling of mechanical ability lurking around inside you somewhere :D . If you were as inept as you paint yourself to be, you wouldn't have a clue to what the term "W-Body" represents :lol: .

Read my document over again and let the info sink in some. When you finally decide to tackle the project, feel free to drop me a line and I'll be more than happy to guide you through it.

And in the immortal words of Rob Schneider:

You can do it!!!

"the signal light in the guage cluster doesnt work either

i dont think this is something i could do, i called GM and told tem the problem and what it could possibly be, they said it could cost me $500!!!!!! "

I paid about 600 for them to replace my turn signal switch along with some "frayed wires" bc turn signals/brake lights stopped working. Turns out I didn't need the switch replaced, it was a $3 part I got at napa. Turn signal flasher I believe it was called

Do it yourself, I don't have air bags, so I really cant say how hard yours is, but mine was easy. So just give it a try, and if it don't work then go to the dealer and spend the 500 bucks, no loss to try it yourself.

I paid about 600 for them to replace my turn signal switch along with some "frayed wires" bc turn signals/brake lights stopped working. Turns out I didn't need the switch replaced, it was a $3 part I got at napa. Turn signal flasher I believe it was called
Umm, replacing only the flasher will not cure the "no brake lights" problem. It sounds to me like you needed a new flasher in addition to a new signal switch.

The "frayed wires" were most likely the wires already attached to the signal switch itself, so you got 2 problems solved for the price of 1.

or i could drive with no signal lights.... no thats wrong :D

it actually stopped working after a guy at circuit city fixed my radio for $500, he disconnected the battery and all that. when i got home i checked all the fuses and they were all good.

ill look over your notes later tonight and build up confidence

i am kidding on paying circuit city $500, radio was under warranty so i did not pay anything... i am so frustrated about these damn turn signals! i am just cheering myself up ! haha

play with the hazard flasher switch, set it and release it a few times..chances are they will start working again.

We have 3 '94 Cutlass Supremes that will do this sometimes...basically, the brake lights don't work (except center mounted stop lamp), signals don't work...play with the Hazard flasher switch for a while and they start working again. Crazy, but even the guys at my local dealer knew what was up when they inspected my car and suddenly the lights stopped working. Your Lumie has the same column so its probably a good idea (doesn't cost anything!)

should anyone need to open up their steering column You would need these tools

autozone has these loaner tools:

a steering wheel puller.

a spring plate compresser. (for the round type column)

advanced has this loaner tool:

steering wheel puller. better quality that autozones.

You may also need to buy snap ring pliers, they're just a couple bucks.

Right on. If you don't want the snap ring pliers, just make surgeon-like with two screwdrivers and a bag of patience.

You CAN change it by yourself. Don't be afraid to tear into it! The SRS may seem like an intimidating obsticle, but it really isn't... a few harnesses are disconnected and the system is isolated and disabled.

should anyone need to open up their steering column You would need these tools

autozone has these loaner tools:

a steering wheel puller.

a spring plate compresser. (for the round type column)

advanced has this loaner tool:

steering wheel puller. better quality that autozones.

You may also need to buy snap ring pliers, they're just a couple bucks.

^^This is for the slackers who haven't read my write-up :lol: . I point this out in the 2nd or 3rd paragraph...

Regarding "playing with the hazzard switch," you're correct but that will only work for so long before the switch is completely worn out. Before I replaced the switch on my old Loomie, I had to jiggle the signal lever up and down to get the brake lights to work. When that trick finally stopped working, I relented and changed the switch...

I had to change mine a couple yrs ago, it wasnt that hard at all. I took my time and had it done within a couple hours. Its not as hard as some people make it out to be. just take your time and becareful and youll be fine.

Is it possible to dissasemble & reassemble everything without the specialized tools?

The only thing you really need is a lock-spring compressor.

You could probably do everything with a hammer... but, by the end of the project, I can't promise it'd look like a factory job.

read my previos post, the specialized tools can be loaned from auto part stores! Assuming you have a decent socket set, the only other thing you will need is a snap ring remover... Plus a new switch, or fix and lube the old switch. (I have dismantled, cleaned, bent the contacts for more springiness and added grease to fix the old switch) but you still need to open the column up, either method.

Assuming you don't run the car for a day.. (to let it dry) ever consider wd-40 wanding the switch to see if that freshens the lubriplate (original slide switch lube which hardens with age) as it sometimes prevents switch contact. -Ken

Speaking of signals and such...supreme_style21, ".. somebody at General Motors must know how to design a turn signal stalk that feels more like a knife in butter than a snapping tree branch." GM has solved that in their new cars!!! Ive drove a couple and it doesnt feel like your gonna break anyting! :lol:

Sorry, back on topic

As far as I am concerned, the 94+ cars cannot be lubed and fixed. The pre 94's could quite easily be fixed liked that, but AFAIK, the 94+ gens need the switch replaced. Shit I have two new switches sitting on my desk, waiting for failure of the current ones.

Speaking of signals and such...supreme_style21, ".. somebody at General Motors must know how to design a turn signal stalk that feels more like a knife in butter than a snapping tree branch." GM has solved that in their new cars!!! Ive drove a couple and it doesnt feel like your gonna break anyting! :lol:

Sorry, back on topic

:lol: :lol: I've had that signature quote for two years and people are just starting to comment on how I am wrong!

The signature quote is from a mid-90's-ish Car and Driver editorial quote while reviewing a Bonneville. I found the quote to be quite fitting throughout the entire GM lineup during those years.

As far as I am concerned, the 94+ cars cannot be lubed and fixed.

Sorry dude, but the 94 CS I gave to my brother, only needed lubing. but it did sit for 5 years before I got it... I never said it would fix all, only that it was worth an attempt. - ken

The signature quote is from a mid-90's-ish Car and Driver editorial quote while reviewing a Bonneville. I found the quote to be quite fitting throughout the entire GM lineup during those years.

just goes to show you how reliable those idiots are

As far as I am concerned, the 94+ cars cannot be lubed and fixed.

Sorry dude, but the 94 CS I gave to my brother, only needed lubing. but it did sit for 5 years before I got it... I never said it would fix all, only that it was worth an attempt. - ken

Where do you fix these?

100_1993.jpg

100_1994.jpg