a question for shawn (or anybody knowing about starters?)

89BuickRegalGS

Is there any way a bad starter, or anything involved with the starter could cause a car to stall after it has been running/driving/idleing? Are there any moving parts in the car that can come into contact with the starter that normally shouldn't when the car is running?

The reason I ask is:

1. Ok, i have been having problems with the car stalling under various conditions (tight turns at high speed, pot holes, just idleing) (shawn you already know about this, but i am trying to chase this down from symptons now)

2. The car is has been having a hard start problem

3. There is sometime, a sound/feeling of something getting knocked around or making contact with something it shouldn't, that happens VERY SCARESLY though and only when I am trying to crank the car though one of the hard starts.

4. The new tapping noise that kinda sounds like a bad lifter, but is VERY loud and sounds like it it coming form the front of the engine even with the hood down.

I know these things could be all of different problems, but I want to make sure I don't try chasing down a bunch of seperate problems seperately when it could be one thing to take care of, I can barely afford gas on my college student budget (no money form mommy or daddy here), so I gotta do this carefuly and right!

Thanks in advanced guys!

stalling problems with your car I dont think is starter related. If it only does it around tight turns or potholes, or even idling. to me that sounds like a car at my shop. I would be checking to see if you have a computer problem. As far as the hard starting is concerned, is it cranking over slow or does it take an excessive amount of time to start :?: :?

As far as the hard starting is concerned, is it cranking over slow or does it take an excessive amount of time to start :?: :?

it takes ecsesive cranking to get the car to start. It also occasionally makes a clunking type sound once or twice that you can lightly feel through the car.

I think Shawn might be rigth and its time I start looking at my ECM from you have said too. damn But the starting problem i guess is unrelated

I might suggest something.... it could be the cat.... when mine went bad it would cause my car to stall in turns..and was giving me problems starting...the core of the cat had broken free and was rattleing around and was randomly turning around and blocking the exaust completely off..it would also do it to me at times when I was going to start the car ..whenI would stop the chunk remaining would fall back against the exaust outlet... to much back pressure the start the car...not saying yours is..but if your hearing a clanking noise..maybe.... take a 2x4 or rubber mallet and tap your cat...if you hear rattleing replace it....dont use any thing like a hammer you might brake the cat if it isn't

Actually, it's possible, but not very common.

I had an '86 Mercury Sable and one day, it had difficulty cranking. It would act like the battery was low. In fact, it wouldn't crank unless I jump-started it using my mom's car. I switched out the battery, and it did the same thing. Volts were fine, so I was very confused.

I finally decided to pull the starter and have a look. The entire nosepiece of it had broken off and was contacting the flywheel. Since the nosepiece was relatively soft cast aluminum, it didn't hurt the flywheel at all and didn't really make much noise either.

So, I guess it's possible that your starter could be broken, but not very likely. I bought a used starter from the junkyard (they wanted my old one as a core) and none of the guys had ever seen one break in that way before.

heh ..didn't say it was very common.... just a though for some of you speed bump and pot hole hoppers...mine broke like that 3 times..but I lived down a 7 mile dirt road with ruts big enough to swallow a jeep... My olds has more air time then some small planes... heheh

well last night I am on my way to church, roll over to my neighbors to pick him up, and the car starts idleing weird. it was surging a little, like it would rev up and down, and each time it did this, the lights would get bright and then dim, it did this for about maybe 8 minutes. But it didn't stall. This car is a big headache, its amazing I love it like i do....

Try picking up an ECM off Ebay for $20 shipped or less.

They only take 10-minutes or so to swap out and for me, it's been a lifesaver in ruling (or confirming) the ECM as the problem.