Cutlass Gen 2 taillights will fit Gen 1 Cutlass right?

nerfbars

I hate the chrome olds emblem on my taillights. Unless I can find someone to make me some clear tails I would like to find a set of tails off a Gen 2 Cutlass with the black emblem. They should bolt right up right? Does anyone have an extra set?

They will not bolt right up. The entire rear end is different, placement of plate and reverse light set-up. Right now your tail lights and reverse lights are made into one assembly. On the new Cutlass's there are the tail lights and then the reverse light assemebly. As with anything I am sure it could MAYBE be made to work but I would question how it would look. People have removed the chrome Olds emblems if thats all you dislike about them, I am not sure on the procedue. Hope this helps.

Jason

Why not remove the emblem, and goto the dealer and place an order for the black one. Doesnt it just adhear to the car via adhesive. And emblems run like 5-10 dollars.

If you want to make clear tails...check out this guys site, he's got instructions on how to make them if you look through his site....http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=217528&make_type_query=make%3DOldsmobile&model_brand_query=model%3DCutlass%20Supreme&tree=Oldsmobile%20Cutlass%20Supreme

Isnt the emblem on the Gen 2 built right into the taillight. I dont believe its removable so I couldnt buy one to stick on my car.

The emblem on my gen1 tailights looks like its molded into the plastic then painted silver on the inside. The silver paint could be scraped off I belive never tried it though.

The "gen 2" ones don't have a separate emblem, the rocket is molded in. As to making the older type look better, just take them off and paint them red. I used red "Stained Glass" spraypaint from Testors, and Shawn used candy apple red spraypaint. I also have a trick up my sleeve that would involve sacrificing 2 extra taillights to make 2 nice ones. I'll let you know if I ever do it...

Thanks for the tip. Do either of you have a pic of your taillights with the emblems painted red? I may just put a piece of black vinyl over it for a base then a white newer olds decal over that. I have a shop that makes custom decals for me cheap.

The "gen 2" ones don't have a separate emblem, the rocket is molded in. As to making the older type look better, just take them off and paint them red. I used red "Stained Glass" spraypaint from Testors, and Shawn used candy apple red spraypaint. I also have a trick up my sleeve that would involve sacrificing 2 extra taillights to make 2 nice ones. I'll let you know if I ever do it...

Brian,

Just a quick question and not to take attention away from the post: but didn't you say that the '88 - 91 vs. '92 - 96' have different bolt up pattern?

I hate the chrome olds emblem on my taillights. Unless I can find someone to make me some clear tails I would like to find a set of tails off a Gen 2 Cutlass with the black emblem. They should bolt right up right? Does anyone have an extra set?

NerfBars,

If they are interchangeable and work out, I've got a set from a 1992 Cutlass; pictures are available... PM me with e-mail address if interested.

- RedFox340

The "gen 2" coupe taillights will bolt right up with no problems. Only thing is, the 88-91 taillights are integrated with the reverse/reflector lights. To use "gen 2" taillights, you'd have to cut the reverse lights off your old taillights and reuse them. I suppose you could use a 92-97 reverse light panel, but then you'd also have to swap to a 92-97 bumper and there's no smooth 92-97 bumper which would match. 92-97 all has those big ribs which would look really messed up in an 88-91.

I would just rather paint the emblems red. For one thing, the 92-97 taillights have a reflector in them which doesn't look as good at night. The 92-97 taillights also have a black border which might look good on some cars, but on my red car, the lack of a border looks better (cleaner).

This is what my taillights look like:

myolds-990604-3.jpg

How did you paint those? From the outside or the inside? I always tought the emblem was painted silver from the inside of the tail light so I'd have to take it off ant scrape off the silver paint.

Brian,

Just a quick question and not to take attention away from the post: but didn't you say that the '88 - 91 vs. '92 - 96' have different bolt up pattern?

nope, not me :)

How did you paint those? From the outside or the inside? I always tought the emblem was painted silver from the inside of the tail light so I'd have to take it off ant scrape off the silver paint.

From the outside.

Yes, the emblem is painted chrome from the inside.

The red spray paint I used is transparent red, so the emblem shows up a chrome red just like 92-97 taillights.

If you REALLY wanted to, you can remove the emblem. They're held in by double-sided black sticky tape. You can then remove the chrome with lacquer thinner. You'd end up with a completely clear emblem though, so you'd still have to paint it somehow to hide the adhesive when you reattach it to the taillight.