Quad4 Cutlass Driving Reactions

94CutlassSLCoupe

That's why this Quad 4 is fun...try slamming through the gears at 6500rpm when it has 180hp! Even by today's standards, a 180hp 2.3L N/A 4-Cyl is pretty impressive

Yeah I agree. I might have to come down to the school sometime this week and check it out. When I'm not working......telling everyone in Genesee County that they owe back taxes (or getting shot at for it). 8)

PM me your number, I would like to go for a ride in it.

The Quad 4's headgasket issue was resolved in '94(for the 100 billionth time I've posted this :roll: ).

Also, with some modification, the 2.4 twin cam and the 2.3 quad 4 parts will work. There is a guy that used parts from both drivetrains along with a nice roots style supercharger, 5 speed, in a beretta about a year ago.

That's why this Quad 4 is fun...try slamming through the gears at 6500rpm when it has 180hp! Even by today's standards, a 180hp 2.3L N/A 4-Cyl is pretty impressive

it is indeed. Honda only gets 166 hp out of it's 2.4 L, and thats with i-VTEC. of course, they also get 197 hp (RSX-S, Civic Si) and 240 hp (S2000) out of a 2.0, but nonetheless the Quad 4 is still impressive, considering it was made almost 20 years ago.

My in-laws had a 1992 Grand Am with a Quad4 engine under it. They drove it to 220K without replacing the head gasket.

I don't know how, but they managed to do it. I think every part on that car failed except for the engine...lol

Those are quick little motors when they aren't broken. My friend had a W41 5spd equipped Beretta Z26 and it was pretty damn snappy......then he blew it up. :bash:

W41's are only in Achieva SCX's.

My in-laws had a 1992 Grand Am with a Quad4 engine under it. They drove it to 220K without replacing the head gasket.

I don't know how, but they managed to do it. I think every part on that car failed except for the engine...lol

It was probably the LHO with an auto, correct? The only good quad 4's (HO's and W41's came with manual ONLY).

Here's what I was told by a tech why the Headgaskets were prone to go out.

The origional design headgaskets bew was because there wasn't enough coolant on one part of the head. Causing that part of the head to be hot and thus make the gasket weaker in that area. Also I was told the W41 head Q4's didn't have this problem as much because they had a smaller Combustion Chamber which allowed more coolant over the problem area.

IIRC, the only difference between a W-41 and an LG0 (HO Quad 4 DOHC) is the camshafts and computer chip...Ours should have the 086 head just like the W-41, i know the intake is the same.

This car runs nice and cool too...not even up to the middle of the gage.

Slick, the LH0 is a 3.1 MPFI

IIRC, the only difference between a W-41 and an LG0 (HO Quad 4 DOHC) is the camshafts and computer chip...Ours should have the 086 head just like the W-41, i know the intake is the same.

This car runs nice and cool too...not even up to the middle of the gage.

Slick, the LH0 is a 3.1 MPFI

There was a low output version of the quad 4 available. I didn't call it an LHO, I called it a LO (Low Output).

IMHO, the Quad4 was an engine with enormous potential marred by the HG issue.

I had a 1988 Buick Skylark with the Q4 and loved it - drove it to 100k without any headgasket trouble (that's when I traded it in on a Saturn).

In the lighter N-Body, this engine could MOVE and was a total blast to drive.

Kevin

There was a low output version of the quad 4 available. I didn't call it an LHO, I called it a LO (Low Output).

It was probably the LHO with an auto, correct? The only good quad 4's (HO's and W41's came with manual ONLY).

Not sure on the engine code, but I know it had an automatic tranny.

Wow, I cannot type for the life of me. My bad! :oops:

You could very well be correct. I'll have to do a little reasearching to fin out for sure.

You could very well be correct. I'll have to do a little reasearching to fin out for sure.

its the cams that make the W41 special :wink: