Opinions on Xenon Bulbs

3pt1lumina

I'm tossing the idea around of putting Xenon headlights in my car. I did a search but couldn't find anything that gave me direct comparisons.

What's the best bang for the buck? And what are the options out there? I like the blue look they set off, so I'd like to do that.

TIA :D

the only ones ive seen come from ebay...or stores like Wal Mart

ive got "xenon" grille lights...and they pretty much rock 8)

i'd recommend getting the sylvania cool blues..or if you wanna shell out the extra $$ get silverstars

The thing about the stuff you see on ebay are "Xenon named" bulbs. Unless you have the high voltage transformers you DO NOT HAVE XENON or HID! 8)

What are xenon headlamps and how are they different from regular ones?

(0 ratings) submitted by jervinator (A, 96%, 140 ratings), Mar 11, 04

"Xenon headlamps use xenon gas and metallic salts to create light. An electrically generated arc replaces the filament used in conventional light bulbs. The start-up voltage of up to 28,000 V is supplied by an electronic ballast module fitted on the headlamp housings. This technology produces twice the light output of a halogen bulb, has five times the lifespan and consumes 30 per cent less power.

This results in much more effective and brighter illumination of the road and road margins, while using only 35 watts." - from Carlist.com

Or, more simply, they are camera flashes modified to put out a constant beam; camera flashes and many strobes use xenon bulbs.

What many people don't know is that xenon (or High Intensity Dicharge (HID)) lights require a different type of reflector. Just bolting in the ballast unit and replacing your halogen bulbs with HID lights is, at best, annoying to other motorists and may actually be illegal!

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/lights/BadBlueBulbs.pdf

What's the prices on these things too? That way I can kinda guage how much I am looking at spending.

I think a pair of 9006ST (the Silverstars) bulbs runs about $43 + tax. idk what kinda bulbs the Lumi uses.

What's the prices on these things too? That way I can kinda guage how much I am looking at spending.

I think a pair of 9006ST (the Silverstars) bulbs runs about $43 + tax. idk what kinda bulbs the Lumi uses.

The Lumi's take 9006 for low beam and 9005 for high beam, correct?

If all you're concerned about is the color, then go with cool blue / silverstar etc. If you want a real improvement in color and brightness, go with true HID's. I just put them in my car and they kick ass. :D But, they are a bit pricey.

Cheap blue bulbs SERIOUSLY SUCK ASS! Dont buy those eBay ones.

I remember when this trend first started, I got some of those fake ones, and the light they put out on the road was TERRIBLE. But they were all that was out there at the time.

I like the Sylvania Cool Blues, and the Silverstars even more, and thats pretty much it. I bought some Wagner True View ( the purple colored bulbs ) for my high beams, and they are really nice as well. Give off just a slight hint of blue/purple, just like the cool blues and the silverstars...

I just put in Silverstars into my Lumina...considerabley more whiter....(I thought my old ones were white...but compared to the silverstars my regular ones were YELLOW!)

I would take a picture, but my camera sucks so I can't really show you how great it really is.

I have tried all sorts of bulbs. I have silverstars in my wifes mini and they work great.

The output is pretty white and they were brighter.

I in turn wanted a HID look for my S10 which uses the 9005 and 9006's

I have used the blue colored bulbs and my visibility was GREATLY reduced and I

do NOT recommend them. Tinted TOO dark!

The Eurodezigns I am running are more see thru and pealized and VERY BLUE lit up.

I am using 4 High Beams in mine instead, I believe that is the 9005's.

Very pleased with the EuroDezigns. $30 shipped for 4 bulbs. (2-9005,2-9006)

Or buy them separate and get all 4 9005 (very little modding to the bulb is needed)

They are very blue lit up and I have had a few complaints on how bright it is!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8500K-NEW-BLUE-4-XENON-BULBS-00-05-CHEVROLET-IMPALA_W0QQitemZ8017502062QQcategoryZ36476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can see there not that dark tinted blue here

5f_1_b.JPG