Looking for a tutorial about rear brakes

Crazy K

I once read a tutorial about how to convert the rear brakes of a 1990 Pontiac TSTE 4 door(although this is universal to all pre-94 rears plus 94 lumina) to have the 94+ rear calipers and rotors, as well as the replacement of the parking brake cables, cable retention bracket, and the application foot lever to a later type.

I believe this was by someone who owns two white TSTE and said the second one, which had paint peel, he had just bought from a guy in Kansas or Oklahoma.

Can anyone direct me there? Thank You. Ken

Guest TurboSedan

that was me :) i am in the process of upgrading the rear brakes on my Turbo STE right now (which i just got from Bossman429, who lives in Kansas).

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/brakes-rearcalipers94.html

i have already done this to my Cutlass Supreme. i do have a complete '94+ parking brake cable but i still haven't installed that :oops: unlike the above link, i reused my '91 brake hoses; they worked fine except that a small tab needs to be ground off (IIRC) so the bracket on the end of the hose fits flush against the frame.

i still need to go out to the salvage yard and get my '94+ caliper brackets and bolts, but i have the all the other stuff. i'm going with cheapo rear rotors and PG Plus pads. they worked great on my Cutlass and that car has had '94+ brakes for a couple years now.

i also have '96 Cutlass Supreme front knuckle assemblies so i can upgrade the front brakes on the TSTE, but i still need to get new ball joints, rotors and pads before i start on the front.

I'm not sure... I recall reading about this person having two white 4 door 1990 turbo GPs... but i may have just found it through a link on their site... and their write up wasn't on the W body page.

But here is what i am looking for... this person detailed upgrading the foot pedal!

My rear calipers have already been done and work fantastic.... (in fact they are the only calipers that stop on my 91 CS Conv brake conversion project right now! LOL)

-ken

Guest TurboSedan

i think your thinking of Bossman429. he had two Turbo STEs up until about a month ago; now i own one of them (the bad paint one like you mentioned :) )

that's his website:

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~dpb6666/

although i think the website with the brake upgrade info you are looking for is actually Chris A's website:

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/rear_brake_upgrade.htm

AWESOME!! Thanks a million!

I wish we had a better link to this, I think it should be posted under the FAQ section so that people can learn how to do it right :) I did my first brake upgrade before I ever knew others had done it too, but I'm a problem solver with the ability to learn!

I'll have to ask the website owner I suppose.

-ken

p.s. I found both of those sites earlier, but I didn't see the main page detailing the second car, and on the other site I saw the repairing original style calipers link and looked no further. lol

so close and yet so far... -ken