grandprix104

What would be the fastest/cheapest/easiest way to lower the front end of my '94 Grand Prix 3.1 L V6 Sedan about 2-2.5"?

My car has been shuddering alot lately and i dont think its because its cold. When idling the rpms drop suddenly and the whole car shudders it keeps doing this constantly. I have noticed lately it has been doing it when i am on the highway holding a steady rpm as well. The exaust is also sputtering when i rev the engine. What do you think is wrong?

Last thing, what is the cheapest way to raise my hp and performance? Cera has not been as responsive lately.

Thanks

Ryan & Cera(my Car)

welcome to the board!

the exhaust sounds like your misfiring....check your plugs, wires, and basic maintance, sometimes that helps wat seem like larger probs...

there are abuot 2 basic mods to start wit:

1)intake - K&N drop in filter or change the whole airbox for an open cone element

2)exhaust - just mufflers or go all out and get a cat back done

For the front, Suspension Technique front lowering springs from http://www.jcwhitney.com. Search for the 94-96 Monte Carlo/Lumina front springs. They will work on the GP.

Do a full tune-up. New plugs, new wires, new o2 sensor, new fuel filter, possibly a new fuel pump, have injectors cleaned by a mechanic, change air filter, oil, oil filter, tranny fluid, tranny filter&gasket.

Do a full tune-up. You'd be surprised what a tune-up can do. You can also get an intake and filter from http://www.mandsproduction.com

You can also get a cat-back exhaust from a local exhaust shop. Buy a 2 1/2" carsound catalytic convertor from http://www.mandsproduction.com, get a 2 1/2" duel exhaust from exhaust shop, and you can get Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, or Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Your muffler shop will know what size mufflers you'll need.

You can also get billet aluminum dog-bone upper motor mounts from http://www.fastfwdperformance.com. The 3.1 motormounts are made out of solid aluminum, a lot stronger and look better then the stock steel ones.

What the mounts do is keep the motor from moving back and forth when you accelerate. So you get better response from your motor. It has polyurethane bushings in them which don't get crushed like rubber mounts do, but they also don't take vibrations as good as rubber bushings. So you will feel more vibrations throughout the car, but you can replace one set of polyurethane on each mount with rubber, so that the vibrations would be turned down.

I think http://www.fastfwdperformance.com also sells chips for your motor.

:)

Thanks guys

I figured it was time for a tune-up and was hoping that it was nothing more.

As far as the exaust goes ive got a bit of savin to do.

On JCwhitney i saw a spring lowering kit that appears to just compress the spring to lower the car. The main benefit of this would be cost (im dead broke) Is this a good idea or a mistake?

Does a better air filter really increase performance that mush? Its so simple!

Does a better air filter really increase performance that mush? Its so simple!

I would think that a kit that compresses the spring would be hard on the springs themselves..but that's just my thought.

The K&N filters are nice. I would recommend going for the open cone element though. That is the best for power gain! :)

Also, the FloPro Twister mufflers sound awesome on the GPs, especially with the cat. removed! I'm getting a pair for my TGP this summer, as well as a 2.5in stainless system! :)

stay away from those.......

they will work BUT.... when they break (theres no"IF" here) they will shoot through a tire, fender, ground effects ect.....

the springs are $91.47 @ your door step...... do it right so you dont F*ck up your car.......

while your @ it replace you front struts and bearing plates...... if its time for a tune up.... its time for struts, (unless you have done them.... )

as for performance....

intake (cone filter works well)

exaust (chat with redZmonte about his 2.25 mandrell bent piping)

comp chip (if your car is a MAP system, FFP makes GOOD chips http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/ )

porting/polishing (I believe RSM does this but dont quote me on that)

UD pullies (FFP)

poly dog bones (FFP)

coil overs/front lowering springs (JCwhittney/FFP)

turbo/supercharging, (I think ther is a supercharging kit for the 3.1/3100, RSM for that)

thats what I can think of right now......

Im sure I will think of more bolt on's right after I hit "submit"

later

Joe

Well i got the new plugs (AC DELCO) and new wires as well as a k&n filter. There has been a definite HP boost. She drives like she did when i first bought her. :D The problem of the "shuddering" when at idle is completely gone. Even though the old plugs where still in fair condition, the last owner must have been a complete moron because the plugs were spaced almost twice the .060 required for that engine. (maybe ill get better gas mileage now too). :) Even with the improvements I still have loud poping noise coming fron the exaust when i rev the engine. :? well i guess you cant have everything. As for lowering the front end and getting custom exaust Ill have to wait until summer when my business goes online and I (hopefully) will start turning a profit. :roll: Anyway thanks for the help guys!

u said u have the 3.1 right? Make a offer and i'll sell my intake, i love the hiss it makes but it jsut seems like it's too much of a PITA. I'm jsut gonna put my stock box in and hack it likr Luke did and put a K&N in it and be done. Make a offer and it could be yours. Jay

theres a pic of it somewhere, i think it's a post called post your intake pics