oh crap, this can't be good, what is wrong with my buick?!

89BuickRegalGS

I drove y car to work this evening and everything was fine, Whne i started the car 5 1/2 hours later, it had a tapping/knocking noise. I have never heard this noise from this engine before. i have an 89 Regal GS with teh 2.8 Now here is where i sound stupid. Is my engine a pushrod v-6?

Yes it is a pushrod V6. That clickin or tappin could be you rocker arms. When the engine has sat for a while, the oil drips to the bottom of the pan and you have to give it a second to circulate to the valve train. If your oil is low, it will do this too. Also, could be a lifter going out, but I doubt that. Next time it does it, let it run for a little while and see if it goes away.

Robby

cool, the engine runs and idles fine, its just a noise i haven't heard before. And I am more familiar with more modern engines, not the old pushrod ones, i was afraid i bent a rod on it.

almost positive its the lifters, older hydrolic lifters leak out the oil from the presser of the springs on them. during the summer its fine cuz the oil is thin and fills them up fast so you dont hear the noise, but in the winter the oil is thick so it takes a bit to fill them back up.

i would agree ussually but I ma in Alabama ( i am not form here, just go to college here!), and the weather has been absolutely awesome here the past few weeks.

try a bottle of marvle mistery oil. dont laugh this shit is mistery oil, can be used in the oil or gas :shock: . any ways if the lifters or oil passages to them are a little dirty this stuff will fix it, almost right away. i've seen this stuff unstick colapesd lifters in seconds, like i said dont laugh this misterious oil actually works.