The future of my car

5speedz34

Well, I've been thinking alot lately about what I'm going to do to my car over the next few years.

I'm really thinking about getting it completely restored. Like what dohc v6 did.

What do you guys think?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34200

There is his thread.

I mean just replacing everything and modding some along the way too, lol.

How long do you guys think it will take? I mean if I do work decide to do this, I need to pretty much strip the whole car down.

I dunno man...I didn't think that car needed work though (other than maybe tuning)...i'd just leave it alone...and if it deteriorates, then worry about it.

Restorations are expensive...I have a '70 Duster...haven't even gotten the body/paint done yet and i think i have $6k in the car!

its your money, but i would just strip out the interior and have the carpets and everything cleaned really well and have car repainted and fix anything rusty. it seems like its in pretty good shape. i dunno

Tony, here's the list of things I would do with that car:

Pull the engine/tranny and clean that up

Clean up any wiring

Spray clean the engine bay

Drop the subframe down, and dissamble it

POR-15 the engine bay, the subframe, underbody, and any suspension parts that are stationary

Drop down the gas tank and POR-15 it and the nozzle

Strip the interior and have it professionally cleaned and repaired

Strip off all body panels, fix any rust or mounts

PAINT!!!

And put it all back together.

Depends on how much work you do and how much you have a shop do. We did a frame-off on an S-10 in two years for about...well, it's hard to say because we were modifying it for the big block at the same time, but I bet the resto totalled $2000. We had to replace some sheet metal, the entire interior, new gas tank, and replace basically anything that gets worn down on a vehicle. So essentially what we were left with was a '91 S-10 with zero miles on it.

I think it's awesome you want to do that. I promised myself long ago that once we got a new car, I do a resto on the GTP, but it'll probably rust out by then. Keep us updated, hey?

don't even get me started on how much its costing me to "restore" my z34, $2000 plus and rapidly counting, and its still multiple colors.

your cars in nice enough shape that it really dosen't need all that much, i'd just catch up every ounce of matniance that needs done.

its your money, but i would just strip out the interior and have the carpets and everything cleaned really well and have car repainted and fix anything rusty. it seems like its in pretty good shape. i dunno

Yeah that's what I would do (and I'd like to do to my GP)

it took forever to do my Chevelle and I'm still not completely happy with it. I have over $6k in mine as well.

If it's still very presentable and runs nice, leave it alone. Only thing I want to do to my Lumina is paint because my paint is not that good; but other than that it's good enough. It's not a show car... unless you want that. If so, then get ready to spend some serious bucks.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

(on a side note that is one of the BEST looking Z34's i've ever seen! i'd give my left nut to have that car! anways....)

fix what needs to be right now and save $$ for the possibility of totally restoring it in the future.

No, I'm not stupid I know it's going to cost alot. My main concern is the paint but I think Chris has pretty much the same idea I've got going on. I mean I just want to clean everything and make it look nice.

Believe me I know this isn't going to be cheap, I'm just trying to figure what I'm looking at.

As for the paint I want to get the Cadillac White Lighting, or the Bonnevilles White Gold. Edit: Or Glacier White or White Diamond

I mean I think I could put in a easy 5k into painting the thing.

Edit: I guess when I mean restore is lets say I pull the motor and something looks torn or even the slightest bit worth replacing I am.

The money I think is going to come when after I get everything back together the mods that I want to do to the car.

Well, if that is the creamy color I'm also thinking of, I don't think it would look good on a Z34. Then again, if I were to do that, and restore, I would want to do a original color. The way it was from factory.

Ya man, stay away from the cream, I got the white diamond done and its a little creamy. I dont think the creamy color would look good on a Z,

Go with something towards blue, than yellow.

Oh and when you do the body work let me know. Painting too, get a nice clear finish so it looks like a mirror when ur done. I think this involves wetsanding between coats.

I want a brighter white. The stock lumina white is a "dingy" off color white. There is like 10 different pearl whites GM offers.

gxp.jpg

Look at how bright that is.

Well it could be just the pictures, but I can't see that much difference between the pic you posted and your Z in your sig. The only difference that I see is about 13 years or more wear on your paint. That one just seems a lot newer, because, well it's new. Is it really a lot brighter/whiter in person?

Well it could be just the pictures, but I can't see that much difference between the pic you posted and your Z in your sig. The only difference that I see is about 13 years or more wear on your paint. That one just seems a lot newer, because, well it's new. Is it really a lot brighter/whiter in person?

Thats's a tri-coat pearl.

Picture001.jpg

Best Comparision

My old Z34 vs. My friends 93 Cutty.

damn tony, i thought that was my z34 for a moment with the dark colored fender on a white z34 and all haha

thats what i thought!!!

damn that GXP is hot!

and tony isnt that Drew's old cutty?

wow now I know what not to do with my cutlass. Thanks for the heads up.

What do you mean?

mainly the headlight shrouds being body colored. I was going to give it a shot and pick up a spare set.