pulling the engine

Psych0matt

So, hopefully tomorrow I can get the engine pulled, but I was wondering if anyone had any sort of write up or some sort of plan I should follow. I have the intake, dogbone, front coolant lines, and stb (the easy stuff) off already, as well as most things unplugged, but need to finish up and pull it, and want to be able to do it without running into too many snags. Thanks guys.

(Mods can move this to powertrain if it's more applicable there, I wasn't sure)

Off the top of my head: downpipe, transmission mount, engine mounts, C100, coolant level sensor, unbolt the PCM. I know there's a lot more, but I can't think of many with my messed up stressed-out head. Sorry!

When we took an engine out of a grand prix, we jacked the front of the car up as far as it would go, then droped the engine craddle. Took the engine and tranny out the bottom as one unit.

If you plan on pulling the trans with it, you will have to unbolt the lower control arm to lower ball joint bolt and knock them apart with a hammer ( a lot) to release the two parts, then take the axles out of both sides.

Pulling the engine and trans out at the same time is a lot easier than unbolting the two and pulling the motor separate. Especially if doing it on the ground.

When we took an engine out of a grand prix, we jacked the front of the car up as far as it would go, then droped the engine craddle. Took the engine and tranny out the bottom as one unit.

Did that on my Z when i put the new motor in. Much easier than pulling from under the hood. So much easier to work on the ground.

This is how the guy that replaced the motor in my dad's Suburban got the motor out as well - he has a frickin massive hoist....he loosened off the subframe and raised the rest into the air....I also remember this on one of the shows on hte Powerblock when they pulled the motor on a Camaro....dropped everything out the bottom.