GPs going away???

Grand Moff Joseph

:( GM needs to get in the game. That's all there is to it. I don't care much for the new GP's, so that doesn't bother me. But, come ON, G8? That could be pronounced as "gate". So, it's the ghey gate.

I bet they'll rename the Pursuit the G4 soon. Then the Bonne could be replaced by a G10. The Vibe could be a G5. And then the Torrent could be the G12. And the Monatna "SV6" could be the G14.

Pontiac's future lineup: G4, G5, G6, G8, G10, G12, G14.

COME UP WITH SOME REAL CAR NAMES! This isn't BMW or Mercedes, who only know how to use random numbers and letters in their car designations.

<endrant> :lol:

COME UP WITH SOME REAL CAR NAMES! This isn't BMW or Mercedes, who only know how to use random numbers and letters in their car designations.

<endrant> :lol:

actually Infinity does it too. Ex: G35 :wink:

Bob Klutz figures it'll work for other car manufacturers, so why not for GM?

After all, it's hard to get attached to a series of letters and numbers, unlike a name. For example, Firebird or Camaro.

I bet they'll rename the Pursuit the G4 soon. Then the Bonne could be replaced by a G10. The Vibe could be a G5. And then the Torrent could be the G12. And the Monatna "SV6" could be the G14.

I think I read somewhere that the G4 will be the Sunfire's replacement. Also, I thought the numbers were roughly indicative of the number of cylinders in the highest engine option, although THAT I'm not as sure about. So the G6 refers to the 3.5L DOHC, the G8 would refer to the 5300 V8, the G4 would mean the 2-point-whatever Ecotec. Sort of a way of tying together their regular cars, kinda like underwear sizes.

I don't care for the new grand prix's. The ONLY thing I like in that car is the new HUD. They could axe the whole thing for all i care.

i agree 100% with you ross, the grand prix looked prety cool when it first went FWD and by 1991 it was looking prety badass with the B4U and hood louvers, and contoniued to improve till 1997 when it started to look more ho-hum, but still nice, then i don't know WTF they were thinking with this new style, and no more coupe option. so axe the damn car while the name still has some dignity.

The new names were a bad idea. Personally, I don't think the new names will attract any new buyers, and old buyers are alienated by the new names.

I think that is totally true. I can't even SPELL half the Buick names without looking at something.. :lol:

Buick has some "nice" cars, but they are going down the shitter. Giving them all different names really doesn't help any.

Pontiac is still winning in my books- Pursuit, G6, Torrent- all kickass vehicles. I think the Torrent is a really nice "crossover" or whatever you want to call it, with optional AWD. I like it MUCH more than the Rendezvous, it's just a more usefull vehicle.

As for the "G6", the name doesn't mean anything. I mean, they come with 2.4ecotec base model (which actually moves fairly well).

I'm glad they ditched the Sunfire and Cavalier names, cause those were crappy vehicles.

Guest Anonymous

I really do like the new G6 GTP. I wish they came with a HUD. If that was the case, i'd buy that over the new GP anyday. As of now, the only reason i would buy the new Grand Prix is becuase it has the HUD.

Also, i was on pontiac's website, and the only GP models they now list are the GT (3.8 SC) and the GXP (the V8)... what gives?

nly GP models they now list are the GT (3.8 SC) and the GXP (the V8)... what gives?

Umm.. no..

I just checked (pontiac.com not pontiac.ca)

There's the GP "sedan" (3.8L), GP GT (supercharged), and then the GXP...

I personally could give a crap about HUD. I turn mine off at night sometimes. I like driving around Caddys and the ones I've encountered have not had HUD. We have mostly CTS. Would I rather have a new CTS than a new GT? Yes. It's a tossup for me between the G6 GTP (6-speed) and a GP GT, probably would go with the G6 GTP..

Remember some of Pontiac's stellar model names back in the early 80's?

T-1000 (Clone of the Chevette)

J-2000 (Renamed "Sunbird" in 84)

6000 (Surprised it wasn't called "A-6000")

I remember reading somewhere that the Grand Am was almost called "N-4000" (or maybe whoever wrote that back in the day was joking :shrug: . Glad that name never saw the light of day!)

So the prescedent of Pontiac having numbers for their vehicle's nomenclature was set 20-some years ago. Here's hoping they pull a Chevy in 5-10 years and bring back their classic nameplates...

But isn't the G6 doing really well? I haven't heard any firm info lately, but I thought the last time I heard, they were selling well.

I drove an 06 G6 GT coupe the other day... was NOT even CLOSE to being impressed with it.