GPs going away???

Grand Moff Joseph

Just read this on a CNN article concerning GM's announced plant closings:

"Oshawa Car Plant No. 2, where Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick LaCrosse autos are assembled, will shut down after current production plans end in 2008. No new car models will replace that production, resulting in 2,750 job losses. GM will also remove the third shift at Oshawa Car Plant No. 1 which assembles the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo in the second half of 2006, causing a reduction of 1000 jobs."

So, does this mean that these two models will go away, or will they be shifted to another plant?

Crappy....Why take away the grand prix? its been around as an affordable sporty car from Pontiac with power and options and reliability, why tarnish that with the G8, thats why i dont understand getting rid of the grand am either.

Holy shit, GM is one of our biggest customers. I support the software that controls some of the assembly line. At least Pontiac is still alive, actually I am glad they axed Oldsmobile before raping the names over and over.

Holy shit, GM is one of our biggest customers. I support the software that controls some of the assembly line. At least Pontiac is still alive, actually I am glad they axed Oldsmobile before raping the names over and over.

You do software, and we make their tools. Some of 'em at least.

Crappy....Why take away the grand prix? its been around as an affordable sporty car from Pontiac with power and options and reliability, why tarnish that with the G8, thats why i dont understand getting rid of the grand am either.

no offense...the grand am is a POS after driving both a '05 G6 and an '06 GTP 6spd. The grand am is rental car crap and the G6 is much more refined and better built. Hopefully they won't axe the Grand Prix.

The Grand Prix used to be an affordable sports car in the 90's and 80's. Now it's an overpriced, somewhat sporty sedan. It's as big as a Bonneville, heavy as hell, no more 2 door option, and the high performance models are $30,000+! The 97-03 models were ok, but they were too heavy, and the factory styling left a lot to be desired. The Grand Prix really died in '04 with that new gawdy machine. They could rekindle the fire that the GPs of the 90's had, but they don't want to. They don't think that's what people want anymore just because the competition doesn't offer it. Sad for us, but at least the Solstice is pretty cool.

There's a plant in Fairfax, Mo. Right on the KS border. GP's were produced there in the early 90's (my car was built there.)

I think now the Malibu's are produced there. I think before that it was Aleros, or Intrigues, but Olds is RIP.

This is not really any new news.. The GP had been slated to be replaced by the "G8" or whatever souless number it's probably ugly, boxy, powerless FWD replacement has been assigned. Who cares anyway? I've hated the Grand Prix's for a long time now, and I don't think anything short of bringing back the original GM-10 designers and firing Bob Klutz could save it now.

RIP Bonneville

RIP Grand Prix

R.I.P. obselete FWD w-body

1988-2008 (that's 20 years)

Now make some f'n RWD to compete with Ford and Chrysler!!!

The Cobalt/Pursuit and the G6 have bright futures ahead of them...

Are Dubya Dee! Are Dubya Dee! If GM doesn't give us an affordable* RWD intermediate by decade's end (and I could care less what the name is - G8 or otherwise,) then ole DiscoStudd's gonna be buying his first Mopar!

* = Under $20k after 1 year of depreciation, like most of their large FWD cars are today...

Buick, too. There isn't one model name in Buick's lineup that was around 7 or 8 years ago.

Chevy, on the other hand, has been resurrecting old model names in recent years and it's definitely helped their sales numbers...

Buick, too. There isn't one model name in Buick's lineup that was around 7 or 8 years ago.

Chevy, on the other hand, has been resurrecting old model names in recent years and it's definitely helped their sales numbers...

what models?

what models?

Buick in 1998 had:

Skylark

Century

Regal

Riviera

LeSabre

Park Avenue

2006:

LaCrosse

Lucerne

Rendezvous

Terazza

Rainier

2006:

LaCrosse

Lucerne

Rendezvous

Terazza

Rainier

AKA Some of the most retarded car names in history. The "LaCrosse"??? "Lucerne"?? When did Martha Stewart sign on with GM?

This is definitely not a "Good Thing".