my passenger door wont open HELP

Black5spdZ

I replaced my door handle because it broke like they all do, it worked fine for a few days and now the door wont open at all. It wont unlock from the inside or the outside, if i pull either handle l can here it move by the latch but it wont open. I dont think it has anything to do with what i did but who knows. Is there any way that someone can think of that i can get the door open or the door panel off without messing it all up. I am sure i am not the first that this has happened to. Basically i am trying to open a locked door. Any help is greatly appreciated

Scott

You might have to use a slim jim.

I don't know if it will help, but you might be able to see the linkages if you open the window. Just be careful not to scratch the glass with whatever tool you use to pull on the linkages.

That happened with my old TGP last year after replacing the door handle. What had happened was the adjustment for the lock mechanism was off slightly and finally it just wouldn't unlock. I never did take pics, but I'll tell you what I did:

Take a wire coat hanger and bend it into a hook on one end, straight the rest of the way. Take the door handle cover off of the inside of the door that still opens so you can practice this move and see what is going on. Basically, you are going to feed the hanger down through the small opening where the lever portion of the handle meets the frame portion. Then, you are going to hook the adjustable rod that deals with the locking mechanism and pull up. That should fully unlock the door and you'll be able to open it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense without a diagram or looking at your working one, but once you see it, you'll know what I mean.

Practice a few times on your good one, then just mirror it with your passenger side and you should be able to open your door in a few minutes. Adjust the not on the rod and you're good to go.

Eh, hope that all made sense.

i have it off the key cylinder, i was able to wok it off with a piece of mechanics wire but was still unsuccesfull. f that was the prolblem wouldnt i still be able to unlock it from inside?

Scott

Hmmm.. if it is actually off of the key cylinder I would think that you could unlock it from inside. Mine was mis-adjusted, so it worked for me. That is going to be a tough one. I'm afraid I don't have any idea at the moment.

Only other way is to do your best to get the door panel off ( PITA with the door closed ), take a crowbar, reach in, and start prying on the latch...took me about 3 hours of fighting, but the fucker finally popped open. Then buy a new latch ( 100 bucks or so ) and rivet it in.

Then, re-adjust the rods, and make sure you lube up the moving parts on the door handle...

The reason I couldn't get my door open was because one of the levers on the handle was STUCK, and wouldn't let the lockrod move...