Hot Breaks

Chinski

I replaced all my breaks about a month ago and they have been working good. i was out running around just now and toward getting back home I hear this LOUD squeal when i stepped on the breaks. It did it at one stop light then didn't do it under light breaking, then again when I was stopping to get into my driveway. I got out and looked through the holes on my rims and can see nothing obvious. I did notice that when I stuck my finger in there both my front rotors were real hot, as in burned my finger hot. I guess I was a little hard on them :roll: Anyway, is this the likely cause of the squeal? And whats the best way to tell if my rear calipers are siezed again? :evil: I suppose I gotta pull off the wheel and caliper and check. It kinda feels like my fronts are doing all the work; but siezed up after a month? Better not be. :evil: :!:

Breaks will get hot no matter how hard or light u press on the break pedal. The friction causes that heat. And as its heating up that friction makes a dust or compound that causes the squealing, commonly known as Brake Dust. If they were changed a month ago your chances of having worn out hte breaks are nill, unless you drove nascar style for that whole month. More than likely its break dust. I noticed that the dealer shaves new rotors a bit to prevent break dust from occuring, whereas they never did with my Wrangler at the Jeep dealer, and anytime brakes were replaced that squeal was there. It will eventually go away. If not go back to where u serviced them, or see what the others here have to say.

I had that problem with my brakes before on my Cutlass. Seems that if you buy a cheap type of pad they squel and get really hot. If you spend more money on a better brake, you should not have that problem. Basically, don't spend money on the $15 pair of pads.