1991 GTP, WTF is the rear defrost switch?

m0sh_man

no i was talking about the switch itself to turn the rear defrost on, not the defrost for the dash, that ones obvious

every car ive had with defrost in the past, just has a on/off type button located somewhere for the rear defrost

Also going the HVAC ONLY blows on defrost/floor setting, what controls the movement of the ductwork? ive got a vaccum line hanging under the dash thats just got a plug in it, so im hoping that it goes to the hvac and just needs plugged back in.

matthew

yea, check all of your vacuum lines, and make sure the checkvalve for the HVAC under the hood next to or under the cruise control servo isnt broken or bad. The button for rear defrost is ON the hevac controls, little button with a window and wavy lines, smaller than all the other buttons

100_1147Small.jpg

do you have the defroster grids on teh back window? its possable your car never had rear defrost. where eric showed you is where it will be if your hvac controls have the button, i've seen people replace the hvac controls for one reason or another and grab one from a car with no rear defrost.

mine has some grids in the rear window, im assuming its for rear defrost, but my car doesnt have that switch.... maybe its got the wrong control box?

I have a vaccum line hanging under the dash of the car, where does it connect to under the dash?

matthew

Not sure where that line goes, i THINK right into the control box, but go to the junkyard and find a control box with the rear defroster button, you definatly have it if you have the grids.

being that my car is a 1991 GTP 3.4L DOHC 5 speed, id assume it has rear defrost (especially being that its always been a northern car)

ill take the control box out to fix the vacuum line when i get a new switch...

guess i need a new dimmer switch and hvac control box.

matthew

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty sure rear defroster was standard equipment in 91. Maybe someone replaced your HVAC control box with one from 88-90.

EDIT: It was a $170 add-on option. If you don't have the button but you have the grid, the box must have been replaced.

son of a ***** my car doesnt have rear defrost, thats cheap... noticed the grids i was looking at were where the cheap previous owner put tint on it in layers so it didnt bubble on the back glass......

grrrr.

matthew

you have a GTP and it doesnt have rear defrost? thats fucked up.

i've seen that on high end w-bodys before, hell my 89' IROC camaro parts car dosen't have it, i think it was all the prospective owner of the car not seeing a need for one when it was ordered. personally i think it makes the rear window look nicer.

Wow didn't come with rear defrost. GM is so fucked up sometimes.

I looked at a '94 GP as well that didn't have it. Kinda odd looking thru a window with no lines in it :?

Wow didn't come with rear defrost. GM is so fucked up sometimes.

I looked at a '94 GP as well that didn't have it. Kinda odd looking thru a window with no lines in it :?

Wow.. you'd think a car that new would come standard with it. I highly doubt I will EVER see a car around here without rear defrost, cause we need them more than half the year.

doesn't digitaloutsider's cutlass not have rear defrost either?

I know we had a '91 Blazer 4x4 that didn't have it.

Hell even our Cutlass Convertible has rear defrost though!

My car used to have a rear defroster...

But as the miles add up and the age of my alternator continues (LQ1), I've decided it's better to let the alternator not worry about powering that grid.