I'm gonna do it, finally. UPDATE!!

3pt1lumina

okay, it's time to change the cluster over from the base to the Euro cluster in my Lumina. Now, I plugged it in just to see if I didn't have to do anything and see if it would work. Nope. The speedo works and the temp guage asks like the fuel. Nothing else works, random lights light up, etc etc.

Can you guys please help me and walk me through step by step in making this work? I have part of the harness from the car the cluster came out of. I remember talk of re-pinning the harness. I can provide as many pics and stuff as you need. I'd love to do this myself but, not gonna lie, I'm afraid. I don't wanna mess something major up.

I'm at school, I'll post pics of it when I get home. TIA :D

Get one of stockgp's adapters, splice in a tach wire and replace the appropriate sensors with senders, and you'll be set to go.

Check the FS/WTB section for a sticky pertaining to said adapters. :)

um well, SEARCH, i cannot even describe how many times this has been brought up.

but looks like you have the resource to do it right there, to do it right, just repin your connector to match the pigtail you already have, or splice in that pigtail you have if you want to be quick, also you may have to run a tach wire to the coilpacks.

I do not mean to threadjack, but does anyone have a write-up for how to locate/replace the oil pressure and engine temp sensors with the appropriate senders?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay my install is complete. Got a harness adapter from stockgp which made things 10x easier. I think it came out awesome. Here's some pics:

000_0376.jpg

000_0370.jpg

My only other question is, I want to wire up the tachometer. I feel stupid asking this, but the "computer diagnostics" connector is the "ALDL" correct?

I was told go to the white wire and splice into it. My white wire has a black stripe on it. I tried splicing into it and the tachometer does nothing. If anyone has some suggestions that'd be great because I'm now stumped. Thanks!!

ummm the white wire eveyone is talking about is at the coil pack, I did the same swap, using a 91 euro cluster, and I repinned mine.

How to find the Tach Wire:

If you look directly behind the alternator, there should be a harness connector that is connected 'to the firewall', and it travels from there and hides beneath the coolant resevoir, along the right body edge as it heads towards the ECM area. This is the wire loom with the wire that must be connected to the tach and must be dissected to reach the wire.

On the other side of the firewall is a connector which is behind the hvac unit and inaccessable on the other side. The white wire does not continue into the car past here, UNLESS the car has the Deluxe (euro) cluster. That is the reason there is no tach wire to locate in the car.

You need to open up the wire loom/bundle in the engine compartment, and locate the white wire within, Then tap an extra long wire to it and run it around thru the passenger door frame to reach the tach to test it's operation. If it works, then all you need to do is reroute the wire to go thru a firewall grommet to reach the guages. It is a small wire one of about 5 on the thinnest diameter and most of the wires are heavy guage wires within this section of the wire loom.

Personnally I like the 91 cluster more. it's the last 3.1 cluster that has the oil gauge, and the graphics on the gauges are cleaner

p.s. How did you get the radio to work in you car? depth wise, as well as the issue off an incorrect radio preventing the interior conveniance lights from shutting off?

All the plugs went in except for one of the harnesses. I took the gray wire and jumped it to the brown on the other harness. It lights up and plays perfectly. It even dims and all the interior lights function as they should. As for depth, there is a little post on the back of the radio I bent to a 45* angle.

Here's my post about the radio install: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35718

I'm gonna look into that wire situation some more. thanks dude. I do like the 91-94 guages better however... these were free. can't go wrong with that. honestly in the future, I want to do the cutty UB3 digital swap. but as soon as I get my tach working I'll be happy for years.

with regard to a PM:

for a 3.1 motor,

The sensors you need to change are plug and play, they have the same connectors. I had donors, but they can be purchased at autozone for instance. 1992 3.1's in luminas don't have oil guages, you would need to ask for a 90 or 91 model sensor. the temp guage sensor(not switch) for guages. each is $15 to $20 new give or take.

oil sensor, read:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36120 and follow the link as contained as well.

Lots of misinformation on the temp sensor location! It screws into the corner of the head on the 3.1. I don't know of a good tutorial. It is on the rear head on the drivers side corner. hiding below the egr pipe. It has a single green wire connector. You need a basic wrench of the right size to remove, it's plug and play, but... the wire harness connector is sometimes brittle from high heat, and i have broken it before. So disconnect and reconnect carefully. If you break it, the wire connector is the same as used on an oxygen sensor. Cut and splice one from a junk car to replace. Make sure the wire doesn't contact the egr pipe, mine did and it grounded the guage. indicating a overheat, resulting in a phone car from my dad who was on the east coast at the time with my car :lol:

good luck ken

p.s. I carefully seal sensor threads with liquid teflon availible at places like carquest or napa.

ok so how about temp? exact location and removal.... crazyk you make that sound very easy. I'm gonna give it a shot with the oil.

edit, I'm stupid, now that I re-read, i see where the temp guage sender is.

Looks good!

hmmm, I actually like that cluster better than the UB3 or the other Cutlass analog. How easy is that one to put in my Cutlass Supreme? Would the shift indicator still work?(mine is more centered)

notsoslimshady76, it would take a load of work. But Anything can be done if you're like me (crazy)

how about checking out the cluster for a 93 or 94 CS? it fits the same opening.

24_1.JPG

Sorry to hijack the topic...Yeah I know that Cluster is a LOT easier to put in. Its still a possibility, but I'm reallly liking the look of that Lumina one. Anything with a temperature gauge, thats my motto

okay got the tachometer working. I went underneath the hood near the ECM and located the white wire in there. NOTE: it was the solid white wire, NOT the one with the black stripe on it. Ran the wires inside... and yeah, i'm happy now. :D

tach.jpg

just gotta do the oil/temp senders now and I'm good to go.. can anyone send me a picture of where the temp sender is? Like point it out in a picture?