Damnit...freezing lock...

gmrulz4u

I knew this was going to happen again this winter! My 89 Cutlass drivers-door doesn't like unlocking:(

I have remote start, keyless, alarm etc. so I always just use the Keyless Entry but last winter it would not unlock my drivers door no matter how many times I pressed the UNLOCK button. But, it wasn't THAT big of a deal because I would just take the extra 5 seconds and use the key to unlock it manually.

But now, that doesn't even work!? I have to get into the passenger side, and manually push the lock lever down and up firmly.

But I think the reason it's not unlocking from the outside manually anymore might have something to do with the fact I changed both of my door handles 2 months ago and remember that I had to remove the key cylinder and attach it to the new handle. Maybe I did something wrong or caused a mis-adjustment?

Anyways, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do!? Obviously I would really love for my Keyless to unlock both doors regardless of how cold it is outside, but I think I can survive with using the key too:)

Is it hard to re-lubricate the door mechanisms or whatever?

THANKS!:)

Just pull it apart and lubricate the mechanisms, and also check to see if you accidentally bent the bars.. Even a slight mis alignment can cause unlocking problems.. Good luck! I almost broke my key off yesterday morning.. I am buying a keyless entry setup for my 94 and using Kevin's (DiscoStudd) VATS bypass to get it to work..

well once winter comes around i have the same problem i cant get in ANY of my doors they all freeze up and with the key the key almost breaks so i finally got a remote start and im hopingwarming up the inside will unfreeze them enough to unlock this winter

OK well I don't really know if it even has anything to do with my actual door lock cylinder...cuz when I do a Google search all the people just recommend that they cure it with Keyless Entry, well, I have keyless entry, and it still doesn't work!

So I think my problem is the solenoid or motor itself that pushes the lock up and down is not working properly...

So I think my problem is the solenoid or motor itself that pushes the lock up and down is not working properly...

Well this can happen as well....try lubing it all up...if it doesn't work then you'll have to replace it.

I don't know about the outside lock, but the electric locks on the 88, 89, and 90 W-bodies I've had all needed to be lubed to work in the winter. Usually they will lock a lot easier than they will unlock.

What I had to do was pull the door trim panel off and liberally grease the linkages. Main part is that "C" shaped thing that pivots. Mine had a really dampened feel like the original lube got viscous, so I oil and grease it up so it pivots freely. I also went so far as to lift the boot off the solenoid and oil its shaft.

So far that has fixed every one of them, but pulling the door panels on these cars is always a PITA and super easy to break the plastic on that separate lower trim panel.