Really cheap speaker add on, I'd like some input please

Monkton

Okay, I got a crazy idea and I want to know what you guys think. I have some Gateway 2.1 surround sound speakers and they're just collecting dust. So I was going to put them in my car. I can put the sub in the back and mount the other two in the interior somewhere. Right now I got the basic two front and 2 rear speakers in my 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and I use my MP3 player with a tape adapter in the tape deck for music. I was thinking if I used the right power inverter cigarette adapter and got a headphone jack splitter to send the audio from my MP3 player to my tape and to my gateway speakers, would it work? I know it sounds pretty sketchy but I rather pay 30 bucks for an inverter and headphone splitter than $140 for an iffy sub set up I've been looking at. Visonik 2 10'' subs and amp, incase you were wondering, is what else I am considering. Anyways, this is just an idea I've been thinking of, any input would be appreciated.

I personally would go with the crap car audio...as c-bad said it won't be very audible in a car while driving...and even if it is it will sound like shit and the worst of the worst of car audio will sound better!!!

All in my opinion of ocurse

Good luck

Thanks for the input guys, but technically they are not computer speakers, just made by Gateway. And today I did manage to hook up the woofer and two speakers to see what it would sound like, and it didn't sound half bad. But I'm going to see what it's like with the other four going to. I was actually quite pleased with the bass from the sub, it got pretty damn close to the tone I am looking for.

i have seen someone put a 5.1 computer system in their car. it wasnt completely convinient but it sounded good

:lol: :lol: That was my sound system for about 3 months until I got a new head unit for my old car. :lol: I loved the sub.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm still using the computer subwoofer, used to have it on the rear deck between the rear speakers, but I've moved it into the trunk and it sounds so much better now. Waiting until I get my dual 12'' Visonik subs. But for Christmas I bought myself two nice Sony Xplod's to replace the factory rear deck 6x9's. I was surprised at the difference when I moved the subwoofer. It doesn't pound the pavement but you can hear it from a good 20 feet away, and when you open the trunk up forget about it, it's craaaaazy. Anyways, here is what one of Sony speakers looks like. Did the install myself, looks pretty clean if you ask me.

th_speakers.jpg

Spend the money for real good quality audio equipment the first time around and youll love it. No sense is buyin low end stuff thats gonna sound really bad

That's the thing, I didn't spend any money on the computer subwoofer, it was given to me. And if you're talking about the Xplod's psssssh, I don't care what you say they were totally worth the $70.

Id never buy sony audio equipment. But thats just me. A sub and amp youll only have to buy once because you can transfer from car to car. So great quality is important. Not to mention you dont wanna be like yeah I have power akustic (sp) subs when someone asks you, cuz theyll prolly laugh......

For $70 I'm sure you can get something better off ebay. If/when I upgrade my 6x9s, I'm prolly getting Infinity Reference. I had some low end MTX in my old car (still have them) but they didn't make much of a difference so they are still sitting in my basement. Front speakers are way more important that rears anyways, especially if you have a sub for bass.

• 4 weeks later...

^^ exactly, just think your at a concert.. Where is the sound comming from, the front right? Well thats why front speakers are by far more imp. than rears, any cheap rears will do for some clarity and crisp sound.

Maybe if you crank them... I can honestly say I've had no problems with them. But anyways, I'm getting a sub and amp for my birthday that's coming up so my audio system will FINALLY be complete.

I'd never buy sony speakers, they plain out suck. I've had sony head units in the past and have been pleased. But when it comes to car speakers, they are junk.

This is coming from someone that has the stock 14yr old speakers in his car... That are blown :lol: