Obtaining a new toy for my car

SaberZ

like didn't work for me.. i assume its the "GM Performance" exhaust. If so then its built by magnaflow. Its a good system.. most likely "throaty" but still fairly mellow (Not obnauxious). Should sound really good i think.

As for putting it on a 1st gen.. its not goint to bolt up.. but any muffler shop should be able to modify it enough to fit.

RedZ

Well tommorow im going down to buy it. I sold abut 98% of my Anime DVD"s to FYE for cash(ill have about 485 bucks) and going to the dealer tommorow to buy it.(483 dollars from dealer). If I ordered it from GMpartsdirect its 100.00 dollars shipping so it came out to like 549.00 dollars. I'll take pics and try to record how it sounds when its put in(maybe monday or tuesday).

Damn.. I shouldn't have looked at that link. I like those tips (if only they were smaller in diameter), and it looks like a pretty good exhaust setup, especially with that price. Wonder what the pipe size is, they didn't list that.

I'm certaintly looking forward to some pictures and some sound clips.

Ok went down to Hawthorne Chevrolet and placed that order. 483.00 dollars for the Dual Exhaust, and 15 dollars for the mount/conversion kit(bolts ect). total was 499.00, FAR cheaper than ordering it online. They said it will take roughly a week to get in, so i'm jumping with excitement. My friends Discount from his service shop saved me a bundle, and I realized how different dealerships offer different prices. Like the Pontiac Dealer wanted 650 dollars for it, my dealer and hawthorne offered it list as 569 dollars, but his discount brought it under 500 so I'm happy.

You can bet im going to post pics.

The pipe size is 2.5in, the exhaust will fit a 1st gen kinda. The 1st gen fuel tank is a different size, so you just have to add some pipe around the fuel tank to get it to fit. You would also need to modify where the 1st downpipe and cat end, the 2nd gen downpipe and cat ends closer to the front of the car, where as the 1st downpipe and cat ends toward the middle of the car where you can unbolt it from the rest of the exhaust. You also need to change the way the mufflers mount. You need to buy the 2nd gen rear exhaust hangers and modify them to fit the 1st gen bumper bolts where they mount. With some time and money it would work and i think would be worth it. I'm not 100% positve on this, but i bought an MSP 2nd gen Grand Prix exhuast system, and it did fit except for the fuel tank area, but the Y pipe and the mufflers did line up.

Justin

Ok I picked up my exhaust system from the dealership. It came in a REAALLLLY Huge box had a hard time putting it into the trunk of the impala, so i fit it in the back seat area. The guy at the dealer was asking where i parked my truck, i'm like...what truck lol. Anyway took it to my friends service center and opened it up. the TIPS ARE HUGE!!!, as is the piping. the piping is 2.75 inches. I'm going to get it put in this friday, and going to see how it looks with those tips(seemed ok, though they are big). I might buy smaller tips(3 inches maybe?) and put those on instead. But it is VERY sweet looking i have to say, and cannot wait to have it on!

Yea, the description said the tips were 4" in diameter, lol.

That seemed a bit large for my taste. I'm getting some of the fasttoys dual rolled slash cut tips for the cutlass. I like the rolled tips that they come with stock, but they need to be shiny, and larger. :D

Pics Pics!! :wink:

EDIT:

Found this cutlass on ebay.. these are the tips I want.

http://carad0.ipixmedia.com/abc/carad/9684861x638934/638934-03102003195306-7.JPG

Installed dual exhaust.

The sound...is incredibly loud(throaty doesnt really describe it). Also there is a weird smell coming from the exhaust(has to burn the oil or the finish or something on the exhaust) from what im told. Car has a lot more kick.

I'm wondering if i put smaller tips on the car, will it minimize that throaty sound. I want to keep it down a bit. At high rpms u dont hear it, but low ones, whooo boy. Sounds like a 96 impala all right. Any recommendations on trying to dampen that sound. Gotta get rid of those 4 inch tips, i think they a bit to big.

Pictures are coming soon gotta find a digital camera

those tips are close to the one im putting on.

Soon, im replacing the stock muffler with a dynomax super turbo. Then, the tip I have is a 2.25 inch y pipe. Then, the ends are cut at a 45* angle.

I would actually have it on now, but the stock pipe outa the muffler is not straight (its stock). So we are going to take the little bit of the pipe on these Dynomax's and weld this on.

Jon