CAI/FWI progress on my 96 GP DOHC updated

pwmin

i got an mandsproduction fwi from shane (the jig) and i was wondering if anyone here knows exactly how what i have to cut out to get it to fit. i can take pics if needed. he has a 4" in his L67 lumi, so its obvioulsy different. has anyone put one in a GP 3.4 esp a 96? thx in advance.

edit: looks like i have to cut it and reclock the first piece. ugh. might be too much of a pia to get this one to work. may have to make my own.

will take pix today at lunch, prob up after work.

edit: pics here

looks like im going to cut the weld closest the the tb and see if i can get it to work. im going to have to cut off some of the pinch weld too and cut a hole in the fender support i think. i really dont want to move the battery

edit again: looks like i may just be able to do it afterall. ran out of time at lunch. hopefully i can sneak out before dark.

snuck out of work early to get sime light to work in (stupid fucking daylight savings) and what a bitch it was to get the fender support out (well i made it harder than it was all you have to do is drill out two spot welds with a decent size drill bit (3/8")). had to cut a little metal out and by the pictures (more available if you look here: http://photobucket.com/albums/v476/pwmin/cai/) i have to cut out a little more and restrengthen the fender support and it should be good. thanks for the help fuckers :roll: :wink: HAHA (in a dave chappelle imitating rick james voice). i also have to lengthen the part the filter goes on and get a different filter and weld where the two couplers are. im very excited about the battery fitting. now all i need to move are the horns and the washer bottle. and she even runs :)

sweet.....is that 4"..i'm guessing it is.

Did you notice anything....throttle wise?

I'm doing 3".....and i'm just useing prebent exaust piping from Speedway Motors

Their warehouse is located 10 minutes from me....so i just got one of each pipe to see what will work the best.

I'm waiting on my 3" 45* rubber connector to ship to me and then i'll get pics up.

I'm gonna Powdercoat mine White.

Sorry for the Hijack.....back to business.

no hijack. its 3". like i said is was a -95 dohc cai from mands/redz but of course i had to modify it. i havent installed it yet. i need to weld some pieces together and move some stuff. need a diff filter too. i dont think there's enough room for anything larger without completely removing the fender support and maybe not enough room with the battery, and the yellow top i have is smaller than stock as it is. i cut some out and messed it up a little so i have to weld in a couple patches. what are you doing with your fender support? there are so many worthless threads about cai's, i cant find any good ones. do you know of any? not sure what color i'm gonna do mine. hopefully i can remove it pretty easily to switch to my wai when i want to. u have any pix yet?

that looks pretty good pwmin! That looks really tight but I definately find that to be better than having to do a battery relocation. I'm not a fan of having to cut metal, but I see why u did it, and it turned out A okay. :D

i hate hacking anything too :cry: , but it was necessary. i'm going to use the welder at work tomorrow and weld up the fender support and the intake. i'll move at least the washer reservoir this weekend, probably the horns also and maybe the vacuum ball, but i dont use cruise at all so im not too worried if i cant make a good bracket with the worthless tools i have, i'll wait on that. i'll post up pix when i get it in (prob with a temp filter since my kool blue one is a little big since i ordered it to fit over the MAF and the flange is starting to rip).

btw, i'm ordering this filter and this cover. this cover looks like it will be perfect to alleviate the concerns of sucking in water with a fwi.

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5106

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5106DL

eh, fwiw, i got the fender support welded up and the intake welded up. installed it tonight, but i'm going to work on it some more tomorrow. i have a 4th gen f-body w/f reservoir back in berthoud i think will fit and should look clean. it's black too. gonna relocate the horns to the front and put in a drop bracket down from where the vac ball sat and it will still be out of the way. just gonna ghetto rig the fluid res till i get back home for thanksgiving.

AND i drove the car to vato zone to get a cheap-ass air filter till i get my K&N and HOLY SHIT it is so freaking loud it's amazing :shock: ! maybe too loud. the filter i got at AZ has two 1/4" thick silicone pieces in it so it can go on either 3", 3 1/2", or 4" piping, which is kinda ghetto, but kinda cool at the same time. it does feel like it pulls stronger, but my ass-dyno isnt patent pending so i dont know for sure.

fwiw, i'll keep posted on my progress and take some pix tomorrow. i have to make some sort of support bracket for the intake too so it doesnt rub and im going to paint it for temporary and powdercoat it later. prob black chrome so it will be dark but should still be decent at reflecting heat.

took pix out. pix now at photobucket

edit: pix of horn and vacuum ball relocation up.

gonna pull it all back apart tomorrow and paint everything.

update: install pictures up. just need to relocated the wf reservoir. already extended the wires for the connector and the hose. i'll put up pix of everything when i get the reservoir moved permanently.

im getting it for like 35 from my source. i found it on a select few websites just doing a google search for 40 plus shipping. its about a 10 day order from reliable. i think it is well worth 40 to eliminate that concern.

tested it out today with the temp filter going over the mountains on I-70 today and no problems with water although it did look like there was some ice on the outside of the filter. anyway, i got pix up of the final install and the f-body w/f reservoir. it fits perfectly!

edit: ha, you can see how bad my front bumper is in the one pic

tested it out today with the temp filter going over the mountains on I-70 today and no problems with water although it did look like there was some ice on the outside of the filter. anyway, i got pix up of the final install and the f-body w/f reservoir. it fits perfectly!

edit: ha, you can see how bad my front bumper is in the one pic

link to pix?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.vplanet.ca:7080/users/kuntzie@vplanet.ca/Pictures/pwmin.3g2

hopefully that works.... u can just right click and save as

i dont have quick time.. so i dont know if this file will work... if it doesnt then pwmin, send me a converted version of the file ( like avi or mpeg... and ill host it for you so people can save it)

edit n/m i finally downloaded quick time and i see it works... fell free do download away folks........ and if and one else need videos hosted i can do it no problem