Whats the best way to tow a non-running car ?

5speedz34

Well, I might be getting a car in RI that doesn't run in the spring. It will need to be brought back to MI, what is the cheapest and best way to get it here?

I'm thinking towing it with Uhaul?

towing-auto-transport.jpg

But they say maximum recommended vehicle speed is 45 MPH.

I can't think of many other ways to get it back, other than shipping it.

All them uhaul trailers say 45mph max on em and i see people flying by at 80 with em on haha.

I'd get one of them dollys that hooks on to the front wheels and just tow it with a truck or something.

All them uhaul trailers say 45mph max on em and i see people flying by at 80 with em on haha.

I'd get one of them dollys that hooks on to the front wheels and just tow it with a truck or something.

If the price isn't bad I'd rather have the full trailer. Don't think I'm towing this with the Z. :lol:

If it happens it'll be my dads Envoy.

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=autotransport

Just make sure you don't show up with an Explorer and expect to be towing anything :lol: And full trailer would be your best bet. I looked into this before because I was looking into getting a TGP in WV that didn't run. Talked to a friend who's dad and him tow cars home all the time with their RamCharger.. he said definetly get a full trailer over a tow dolly.

I don't know what the Envoy has for a tow package, but you need at least a Class II hitch, possibly Class III, and I'd recommend throwing an aux tranny cooler on it if it doesn't already have one. Be sure you're easy on the brakes too, because they're gonna fade a whole lot faster with that extra 3300 pounds pushing your ass down that hill.

ive done 75 or so with the tow-trialers before. they also have 2 wheel dollies. If the tires are in good shape and you dont care about the ODO you can always flat tow the car. Just make sure the transmission is in good shape.

I don't know what the Envoy has for a tow package, but you need at least a Class II hitch, possibly Class III, and I'd recommend throwing an aux tranny cooler on it if it doesn't already have one. Be sure you're easy on the brakes too, because they're gonna fade a whole lot faster with that extra 3300 pounds pushing your ass down that hill.

I know it has a hitch stock, we've towed a big trailier with it once and that was it. I don't know if I would want to mount a tranny cooler on it unless it has one. The hitch is probably a class III.

Also, mapquest had me go through the great land of Canada, do you think the Canucks would care if I drove it through Ontario? And what kind of mountains would I be driving through? The Catskills?

ive done 75 or so with the tow-trialers before. they also have 2 wheel dollies. If the tires are in good shape and you dont care about the ODO you can always flat tow the car. Just make sure the transmission is in good shape.

Uhhh, i wouldn`t do that, unless you pull the CV shafts out of the car. With out the engine running, the fluid wont circulate in the trans, and you risk overheating certain components, and possible damage of components in the trans.

Yep... You can flat-tow a manual transmission car all you want because manual trannys use the bottom gears sitting in the fluid to lubricate the trans... Auto trannys have an output pump to pump the fluid up to the gears when the engine is running... All kinds of stuff can cook if you flat tow for more than 20 miles or so on an auto transmission car...

Mike

Also, mapquest had me go through the great land of Canada, do you think the Canucks would care if I drove it through Ontario? And what kind of mountains would I be driving through? The Catskills?

Show the map & route, It would be a bitch having to go across the border with a SUV and a car on a trailer TWICE!!

I recommend finding another route!!

Stay the hell outa Canada :lol: <--- Really i am just joking.

bah. canuckistan.

I'd try to find another route. Mapquest isn't always the greatest.

led my girlfriend around a rotary once back to the opposite direction.

Just take I-80/90 Straight through Ohio and Pennsylvania over Tony. That would probably be about the easiest. Plus, on the way back, you can stop by here in Toledo so I can check out the new car.

Just take I-80/90 Straight through Ohio and Pennsylvania over Tony. That would probably be about the easiest. Plus, on the way back, you can stop by here in Toledo so I can check out the new car.

Wanna come?

I'm just worried about driving through the mountains. I mean I've been with Boy Scouts in a Suburban, when we towed the troop trailer and loaded that thing wieghs probably 3300 lbs. I remember going down decent sized grades and feeling the thing push.

I've personally never towed before, but I feel confident that I'm not a jackass.

I'm just worried about driving through the mountains. I mean I've been with Boy Scouts in a Suburban, when we towed the troop trailer and loaded that thing wieghs probably 3300 lbs. I remember going down decent sized grades and feeling the thing push.

I've personally never towed before, but I feel confident that I'm not a jackass.

Engine braking is your friend.

Engine braking is your friend.

Werd, 1st gear what?

I'll tell you what NOT the best way is, wrapping a broken extension cord around your rear sway bar to pull a dead sunbird a block in the dead of winter so she doesn't get another parking ticket. It worked great but a guy pulled up and asked me "Are you going to pull the car with that?" I didn't really know if he was talking about the Cutlass or the extension cord.

I like tow dolly's myself, low tongue load and they work well. Backing up is tricky though.

I'll tell you what NOT the best way is, wrapping a broken extension cord around your rear sway bar to pull a dead sunbird a block in the dead of winter so she doesn't get another parking ticket. It worked great but a guy pulled up and asked me "Are you going to pull the car with that?" I didn't really know if he was talking about the Cutlass or the extension cord.

I like tow dolly's myself, low tongue load and they work well. Backing up is tricky though.

Yeah, I think I might be asking Jay to use his dads Silverado.

i'm not sure about the hitch, but an Envoy should pull a car fine. I'm sure they have at least a 5000lb towing capaticy. that car probably has an aux trans cooler too.

i used to tow shit all the time at my last job. get a full trailer.

Towing isn't all that hard...just take it slowly for the first couple miles and learn how everything handles...obvisously it isn't going to handle as well as with no trailer.

I have towed our 28' Travel Trailer with my dad's Suburban.....once you start and get to know how everything handles it really isn't that hard. Just anticipate and look ahead further then you normally would...

I'd say the Envoy should do it fine...that Silverado would be nice though :D

And defiantely flat bed or something to put the whole car onto. My friend's dad did this route when he brought my friend's Cavalier home on decently long trip....this included going through mountains (Saskatoon to Calgary)...

Anyway good luck!!

Well, I found out the Envoy has a stock auto trans cooler, and I'm guessing it already has a class 3 hitch.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to be towing with a flat bed not a dolly.

What engine is in the Envoy? I don't think you'll have ANY trouble pulling it with that car. We have an '05 with the towing package and I think it would call a car no problem.

Anyway...I was gonna ask why you were going to get a car from RI but I think I know....

Oh, and get a flat trailer. You'll thank yourself in the long run.