pulling my Turbo STE engine

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i pulled the turbo and crossover pipe out of the TSTE today since both need to be rebuilt. however, after seeing how filthy everything is in the engine bay i have decided to pull the engine and transmission. i want to powerwash the engine bay, as well as tear the engine down to the shortblock and replace every gasket, seal, hose...new oil pump and timing chain set, and send the heads to the machine shop. i'm also going to scrub down the block and powerwash the transmission while i have it out. the engine runs great and the transmission shifts perfectly, so i'm not going so far as to rebuild anything quite yet. i basically want to do all the same stuff i did with my Cutlass earlier this year. it shouldn't be too hard, since i already have the learning curve down and it's still in recent memory :)

anyways, i have always pulled the engine from my Cutlass out the top. however, the TSTE has a much larger master cylinder and i'm not sure if that will make it impossible or what. i REALLY do not want to drop it out the bottom for several reasons. i had no trouble pulling the 3.1/4T60 out of my Cutlass several years ago, so i am hoping i can do it with the TSTE. it's just that PM3 master cylinder i'm worried about i guess....it's HUGE compared to the one in the Cutlass :lol: if i have to remove the PM3 i'll do it....i don't know what goes into PM3 R&R though. oh, btw, i will be removing the downpipe before i attempt to pull the drivetrain of course.

any insight/advice/tips etc appreciated, thanks

i pulled the turbo and crossover pipe out of the TSTE today since both need to be rebuilt. however, after seeing how filthy everything is in the engine bay i have decided to pull the engine and transmission. i want to powerwash the engine bay, as well as tear the engine down to the shortblock and replace every gasket, seal, hose...new oil pump and timing chain set, and send the heads to the machine shop. i'm also going to scrub down the block and powerwash the transmission while i have it out. the engine runs great and the transmission shifts perfectly, so i'm not going so far as to rebuild anything quite yet. i basically want to do all the same stuff i did with my Cutlass earlier this year. it shouldn't be too hard, since i already have the learning curve down and it's still in recent memory :)

anyways, i have always pulled the engine from my Cutlass out the top. however, the TSTE has a much larger master cylinder and i'm not sure if that will make it impossible or what. i REALLY do not want to drop it out the bottom for several reasons. i had no trouble pulling the 3.1/4T60 out of my Cutlass several years ago, so i am hoping i can do it with the TSTE. it's just that PM3 master cylinder i'm worried about i guess....it's HUGE compared to the one in the Cutlass :lol: if i have to remove the PM3 i'll do it....i don't know what goes into PM3 R&R though. oh, btw, i will be removing the downpipe before i attempt to pull the drivetrain of course.

any insight/advice/tips etc appreciated, thanks

Man you got some bucks and some time to burn :P that will be an even nicer running car when its all done 8) I have pulled the engine a few times and last time with the tranny and they all came out the top no problem :? so don't see any need to drop it out :lol: doing just the engine was very easy, tips on doing each or both (though motor then tranny is best!!!) once ready and all that, just a few pumps on the engine hoist, yank to loosen the pins to the tranny and the 2 lower motor mounts, then a few more pumps then wiggle things to see what wants to hit or is going to hit, then swing the engine on the hoist chain or move the hoist to clear things in the way, few more pumps and keep watching for things it wants to hit, keep moving the hoist to clear things, it comes out very easy with just watching for things. Now not sure of this last thing but when I did the tranny and engine together I found the tranny wanted to hit the pressure switch on the AC line over there off the bottom of the battery tray, it goes phizt when you unscrew this AC switch (to get the clearance I needed) but it will not leak the refrigerant out, less the O-Ring leaks and I WOULD make sure of this as mine wanted to last time, if it does then put the AC switch back on soon as the tranny clears, but like I said, not sure if it got in the way when I pulled just the engine first, pretty sure no problem when I took out the tranny by its self as there was no problem then since the tranny can move to the passenger side without the engine connected to it. Last thing of importance (for now, not sure what else my brain will remember now that you got me thinking about this again :roll: :lol: ) but found no need to take the hood off, just hold it up while you pop off the hood struts at the hood and once both are off take a rope (might better put the rope on first :oops: :lol: ) and just lift up the hood so there is more than enough room to clear the engine (and tranny) so they can come out...but you will need a tree or garage beam to do this (tie the rope for the hood to lift it up enough), or if its going to be in a parking lot or driveway then have someone just hold it up till the engine and tranny are out then let the hood back down so you have a hood to cover and conceal things from wandering eyes that don't need to be there :x

Good luck, sounds like fun!!!

Jeff M

i pulled the turbo and crossover pipe out of the TSTE today since both need to be rebuilt. however, after seeing how filthy everything is in the engine bay i have decided to pull the engine and transmission.

:bawl:I tried to clean it the best I could! :bawl:

You're going to make me feel bad, all I have done to the GTS is order altenator bushings. :lol: Plan on a good BOV real soon though!

Guest TurboSedan

it's mostly because i'm just obsessive compulsive about it being clean :lol: and since i just did all this same stuff to my other car it will be simple. and really, i think doing it will be fun!

that does sound fun....road trip!!!!!..i'll bring a truck so i can brign the drivetrain back home with me for further cleaning..

i think i can clean it hella better if its sitting in my engine bay :lol: :wink:

• 5 months later...
Guest TurboSedan

bumping an old topic, but i'm going to have the engine & trans out tomarrow. i have it completely ready to come out; there is not one thing holding it in at the moment.

just wanted to say that i would recommend removing the PMIII. it was really easy to remove though i did already have my turbo and crossover pipe out. unplug a bunch of connectors, remove the 3 lines with a flare wrench then it's just two 15mm bolts holding it to the firewall. wayyyy more clearance now. i think i probably would have had one helluva time (and likely broke stuff) by pulling the engine/trans together if the PMIII was still in place.

btw, it's not going back in either :mrgreen: i'm going to need the room for the 3" downpipe. since i have to get a new firewall plate i'll just get one from an '88-'90 W-body with factory 5-speed (i already know of a donor car in the local j/y). this will make the 5-speed swap a 99% bolt in ordeal. i have lots of time to tear the dash out and replace brake lines and i'm sure i can handle it. anyway, i don't want to get too off-topic in my own thread. i'm hoping to post a project update with pics soon...

Sweet :) As been stated, I think its definitely easier to pull an engine with an automatic separetely, plus, it would be SO easy to remove a PMIII with no engine, :lol: Pulling engine > Pulling PMIII

However, a 5spd car, MUCH easier pulling together, either way, good luck with it :) and make sure you get some pictures of engine pulling goodness :)