94 grand prix swap with lumina, crank positioning sensor????

lutman123

I am swapping a 94 ponitac grand prix with a 95 lumina both 3.4 DOHC. There have been a few differences between the two engine, all minor. But now I have the lumina engine in the car and on the GP engine there is a crank positioning sensor under the harmoninc balancer, and there is not one on the lumina, does it have one somewhere else? I was wondering if maye when they took the engine out of the lumina they may have broke the wires off and that is why I can not see it.I have not removed the harmonic balancer on the Lumina engine yet because it is in the car now (doesn't it figure) and it is going to be a pain in the butt to get it off, if anyone can help me that would be great, I am kinda at a stand still right now. thanks

Now it sounds like both motors should be SFI, but maybe one isnt....

If its SFI, you will get a bigger harmonic balancer that has the interupter teeth on it for the crank position sensor. the other senosor i beleive is only used to find TDC in this case???? it still has the other crank position sensor that the <95 uses

on the MPFI you will have only the crank position sensor in the block. and the balancer is just a a wheel with 3 spokes that the pulley attaches to.

Im certain both are SFI, and im not sure that the 'crank position sensor' on the lumina motor is necesary in that car...but if its there it should be directly behind the alternator.

EDIT: I reread your post 4 times and i think i changed my answer 4 times :oops: i think ive got it now though :D

just to let everyone know, that senson is located in the same spot on both engines, after I took off the harmonic balancer on the Lumina engine there it was. They just completely ripped off all of the wires when they took the engine out of the other car.