Should I do it? UPDATED-Pics 56k safe!

5speedz34

My friend has 90 Lumina base, that she wants to get rid of. I mean I can get it for about $60 bucks. The paint is in decent shape, the rockers I think are starting to rust, so I'm sure the underbody isn't perfect. She says sometimes it doesnt go, when in gear, which means it could be anything.

I figure if my parents don't care I can pick it up for cheap fix it and sell it.

What do you guys think, tommorow I'm going over there to look at it and I'll bring my camera with me.

FWIW: I can get a tranny for this for cheap.

if it has a blue interior you should part it out to me! I need a non warping dash and a drivers seat :lol: :wink: ...I'm dead serious too. hmm maybe other stuff i cant think of at this time.

for $60 you cannot go wrong at all... get it as long as it's relatively solid and runs pretty decent.

Ok, so I went and took pics. The paint is pretty good on this car. It's just the rust on the rockers that sucks.

ReneesLumi.jpg

ReneesLumi2.jpg

ReneesLumi3.jpg

ReneesLumi4.jpg

ReneesLumi5.jpg

ReneesLumi6.jpg

ReneesLumi7.jpg

ReneesLumi8.jpg

ReneesLumi9.jpg

The cars runs great, it has the typical O ring leak. Would be perfect as a daily. I like the idea of a 4 door base. The rust isn't a problem for me. The underbody is probably better than my Cutlass.

What happens though it when it's started the car will move under it's own power, but when you give it gas it goes no where. It does this for all gears. Once it's put in reverse or stopped it engages and the trans shifts perfect. Fluid was gorgeous, this girls father was a mechanic. :D 173k.

I mean I'm seriously considering getting this and selling the Cutlass.

The rocker rust is real bad, but the underbody looks nice...it probably just got water in it somehow.

Hell the Quad 4 Cutlass we have has a nicer underbody than that and it has a rust hole bigger than your head in the driver's side 1/4 panel (we're fixing it, don't worry).

If i actually had free time and money i'd buy that cutlass from you and use the pieces to build a bitchin L36/5-speed Cutlass Convertible lol :lol:

You need a tranny for that Lumina? I'll sell you my '89 - it's tranny (440T4) has about 14K miles on it. It shifts real nice - no sloppy 1-2 like the originals. I have the receipts for the tranny rebuild somewhere here. I'm selling the whole car - it runs good, but doesn't stop. It needs every piece (I mean everything) of the brake system replaced except for the front calipers (that's if their bleeders will come loose). I don't know how you'd get it there though.

i say buy it, fix it, drive it through the winter, than sell it.

Right now I don't know what I want to do with the Cutlass.

I'm waiting for responses from Chris, Jay, and other MI guys.

i say buy it, fix it, drive it through the winter, than sell it.

Right now I don't know what I want to do with the Cutlass.

I'm waiting for responses from Chris, Jay, and other MI guys.

ehhhhh, tony you now have a cutty that sits in the drive way, your parents would be pissed if you bought that lumi and let it sit. You need to think where are you going to put the lumina, and cutty? i know the Z is going up north, but the others?

I think it's a hell of a deal, and like i said we can rebuild that car from top to bottom (besides body) in a fucking weekend with all the parts we have. But are you going to ahve the time to fuck with the tranny? Shit i know your schedule is a little like mine and i took back my silver stars just cuz i had to pull the headlight out to install them, when are you going to be able to swap a tranny? I'm just play devils advocate right now to make you see it from your parents point of view.

Give me a call later, we;ll talk about it

My personal opinion- Save yourself the $60 + taxes and fees and stuff, and put it towards getting your winter car running correctly. Then, you will also save the $100 or whatever for a new tranny and put that towards getting your Z34 running correctly.

IMHO

My personal opinion- Save yourself the $60 + taxes and fees and stuff, and put it towards getting your winter car running correctly. Then, you will also save the $100 or whatever for a new tranny and put that towards getting your Z34 running correctly.

IMHO

Remember, IDK if it needs a tranny like I said the fluid is fine and isn't burnt, and I guess it was rebuilt a few years back.

Anyways I wouldn't get this taxed and fees and stuff until I get it running right.

As it sits, I really don't think I need much into this car. The way I see it is.

Finish the Cutlass sell it for *hopefully* $700-1000* Buy the Lumi for 60+ W.E for taxes. Fix the O-ring leak + the trans (which I don't think is much) and call it a day.

Either way I planned on selling the Cutlass at the end of the Winter.

I posted in Powertrain about the trans.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35765

Also, I won't be getting this car until I bring the Z up north. I AM NOT having more than 2 cars in the driveway.

swap the 282 from the Cutlass into the Lumina

Honestly I don't think I have the time to swap the 5speed into this Lumina. And if I'm doing any swapping it's going to be to TeeJays Car. :wink: