GM Top End Engine Cleaner... Which hose do I use 3.1MPFI

cutlass1991

Like the subject says, which hose do I suck the fluid into?

I have searched on this many times and all I ever come up with is "use a vacuum hose." I did find this post

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7457&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=top+end+cleaner+hose&sid=ac48d7e3b6bc595b936c689bcd8ade8d

It states to use the Master Cylinder Brake Booster hose. I know where the master cylinder is, but it looks like there are a bunch of hoses coming off of it and I didn't want to pick the wrong one.

Does anyone have a picture of a specific hose?

well i have shitty luck. I found the hose you are talking about i think, but the rubber hose won't come off of the attatchment. And I can't get a pair of pliers in to squeeze the clamp open to take the rubber hose off of the metal line going into the plenum.

hose1.jpg

You can get it off.....its just hard......take your time and twist it too....

mine was really hard to get off.....but do it.

:werd: Also, that elbow just comes right out of the booster. If you have to, yank it out and just pull the elbow out.

OK. got it. It sucked the whole can in within 5-10 seconds, not minutes. Then I shut the engine off when the whole can got sucked in, then I reconnected the vacuum line and started the car and let run for about 3 minutes. Now it is shut off and Im gonna let it sit there for 10 minutes then restart it. White smoke is cool.

actually, fyi, you want to let the top end cleaner SLOWLY enter the motor after you have warmed up the engine. I have used a hose on the tranny vacuum port right behind the throttle body. should make the motor stumble at low idle for 3/4 of the can, then choke the motor out with the fluid and let it sit for 10 minutes. start it back up with the tranny vacuum hose reconnected and take it on a drive. smoke will pour out the tail pipe(s). slowly letting the top end cleaner into the intake will give you a better cleaning and less dangerous to the motor.

I dunno how you could get it to suck the whole bottle in 10 seconds without stalling it :think:

I put it in a plastic waterbottle which allows you to see the fluid, and also you can't suck it in too fast or else the plastic bottle starts to crush itself from the vaccuum.

Letting it sit 10-20min I always get a huge amount of smoke.. damn it is fun I agree. :lol:

OK, just a question, since you guys are cleaning out your top end, why not put a breather on your egr instead of letting dirty exhaust gas back in to mess it up again?? Shouldnt it remain alot cleaner?? All this provided you dont have to do emissions testing.

I already did this because the egr exhaust tube broke and it had a leak.

Well, by no means am i trying to hijack, but i think keeping the top end clean is important. I dont think classic cars are using any sort of exhaust gas recirc.

The egr is beside the TB, if you take it off, along with the tube that connects to the rear exhaust manifold you can remove the tube by taking off 2 10mm bolts, they use a 5/8 id elbo to some rad hose and run that too the the breather. Easy hack.

breather.JPG

I wouldn't recommend removing that tube if unnecessary. they are very fragile with their old age.

for those who don't know: the pre-'91 3.1 vacuum EGR valve is pictured above. In '91 3.1s got a digital EGR valve (same function, looks different)