Tranny Service plus New Modulator = worse???

gmrulz4u

Well I had my tranny service done this morning as well as a new adjustable vacuum modulator.

Now, my shifting appears WORSE than before! Especially my shift INTO 2nd Gear, it's quite rough.

I bought a bottle of Lucas Tranny stuff and so far there's basically no difference.

Any other suggestions?

What can make the 1-2 upshift feel so bad? Is there some mounts that I may want to check? I've had to replace my torque struts/dog bones multiple times...maybe they're a hinderance??

how many miles?

sometimes its far worse to flush the transmission if it hasnt been done recently than it is to leave the old fluid in it forever. the metal particles bond to stuff, and when you flush it out the particles go out with the fluid, and clearances open, clutches lose the material that was stuck to them, valve body leaks that were plugged unplug, and things start slipping.

tranny guy told me this and i've experienced it several times. i did my car, it was never done so i figured 125k i should do it. black fluid out, flushed everything, new fluid in, tranny slipped like hell for 3k till it wouldnt go anymore. same thing with my old 93 lumina, changed it at 170k slipping a little and the thing slipped like hell when i sold it at 175. my truck grenaded the trans 100 miles after fluid/filter/flush/lucas additive.

ok I should have made it a little clearer...if they installed the module and didnt drive it before you got it or the person is like me and they like a crisp shift they might have thought it was just fine...your going to have to read ajust the module.... pull off the vacuum line on the module and turn the screw inside the hole counter clockwise ..then go for a drive and see what it does...oh yea..and put the the vacuum line back before you drive :)

I've changed the tranny fluid every 2 years...and I only drive like 8-10k miles per year.

This was the first time I changed the modulator, and the first time it's ever been worse after having the service done...

oh you did it your self? ummm one dumb question....did you use the proper nubby going into the tranny...most of the time it looks like it is a 3 piece unit...but if you read the little slip that comes with it in the box. you will find that you may only need 1 or 2 pieces of it depending on what color stripe was on your old vacuum modulator... I run into alot of mechanics that forget to check that and just shove it in..and have the same problem your having.

hmm it would seem to me that we are beating a horse that someone else should be beating..if you had the modulator installed and it's shifting funky..then you should have the shop that installed it fix it...they didnt do thier job right...but thats just my opinion.....

New modulators are usually adjustable. You may want to check/adjust that. There will be a flat screw inside the vac nipple on the modulator. Turn clockwise to make shifts firmer, counter-clockwise to make them softer (I think thats how it is). You want the shifts from like 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 to be firm, but the 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 should be SOFT. You don't want the downshifts to be firm, bad for the tranny.

Jason