Crazy power lock problem

Addicted2bass

All of my power locks (except for the drivers side which doesnt power lock anymore) are making a loud clicking noise and look like they are trying to either lock or unlock over and over again. The only way it will stop is if i pull the Elec. fuse (the Ctsy, fuse doesnt stop it). Once the Elec. fuse is pulled the locks work fine, as does everything else except my headunit (a Eclipse 5425) which wont turn on.

This just started happening all of a sudden. Its not always constant, some doors will stop, or go slower, and then faster. It happens when the car is running, on acc. or off. If I hold down the lock button it will stop. Also the locks will no longer auto-lock when the car is put into gear.

Possible the relay for the auto-locks is screwed up? This is the only thing I can think of. Its a 93 Lumina. Any help would be much appreciated.

You must have an aftermarket unit in there...I didn't think a 93 Lumina would have that auto lock thing when you put it in gear the doors lock??

Soudns like some relay, and/or a wire is grounding out somewhere causing it to continually fire??

Does the car have an aftermarket remote starter/keyless entry system installed in it?? we had a problem like that in our 97 lumina where we went to unlock the doors with the remote and something messed up. It was really strange, cause when you would put the car into park, the trunk would open, the power locks wouldnt unlock, than they got stuck on the lock cylcle. Than the actual remote start/entry unit caught fire when we were driving it. turns out that the guy who had installed it hadn't properly grounded the unit, and something shorted out inside it.

When I first got the car another Lumina owner told me there was a way to program the auto-locks through the radio. But I dont have a owners manual and I couldnt find anything on the radio to do so. I have had a aftermarket HU in for about a month and a half and havent had a problem. But I wondered since the radio and auto locks (but not power locks) seem to be the only things on the Elec. fuse if they are somehow connected.

As far as I know the car doesnt have any sort of keyless entry system. There r two wires, one running from the wiper fuse and one from the tail light fuse that are not factory. These wires run through the car and are chopped off and laying under the backseat. There is also a few more wires running somewhere, but nothing is hooked up. Nothing runs into the doors though, I had the front doors apart when I put speakers in and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. Any chance water could have gotten in the door and caused this? It rained pretty hard here all day.

Where the harness that goes through the doors into the car below the ebrake, there is a metal braket there that my wires rubbed against and eventually killed my dimmer. Check there for shorts all along where the wires enter the car and while your at protect those wires.

Check it out by opening and closing the doors while its happening, if it goes away, comes back, then the short is prolly in that area.

A few more things. This morning I held down the lock button for like a minute, for the rest of the ride to work the locks made no noise. I did the same on my way home from work, but about 5 min later they started clickign again. Its mainly the drivers side rear door that does it, but the other doors do it on and off. I dont think there are enough wires in the car for it to be keyless entry, regardlessly none of the wires appear to be hooked up. Should I pull the 2 wires going to the fuse box? I heard that there is a way to diable the auto-locks by unhooking some wires from the dinger box. Is the dinger box the small white box located above the passenger side footwell?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i cant tell you whats wrong but maybe this will give you some clues as to whats going on with your locks... At work one day i left the front windows open on my regal and it rained pretty hard for about 30 mins. everything was wet when i got back to the car including the window and power lock switches on the door. When i put the key in immediately my power locks started acting sporadically like you described mostly switching back and forth very rapidly with occasional pauses. i was pretty scared with the situation but after i dried as best i could they got better over time and within about 8 hours they had stopped switching on their own. the only thing that didnt go back to normal is that now, when i close the doors and want to leave the car unlocked, as soon as the interior light goes out they lock automatically no matter what. huge pain in the ass for me because i like to leave the doors unlocked but they work normally otherwise. i guess you should check where the harness enters the door for any signs of water. good luck.

Unhooking the rear drivers side door power lock solved the problem, so there mucst be a short somewhere, but i have yet to fix it. I rarely lock my car anyways, im just glad the problem stopped.