weird stall condition today

89BuickRegalGS

i was in the car with the GF today, it was idleing with the defogger on, and she complained it was to hot, so I turned it off...

well, the idle was normal with the defogger on, when I shut it off, the engine dropped a little RPMs, then reved hi, then stalled. This is the first time iI have ever seen an engine quit when a load has been removed from it!

Other reasons it has stalled recently:

High speed turns

Just idleing with no one in it

Shawn said it was possibly the ECM, but i am hoping for somehting cheaper!

any ideas?

check for engine codes first. Then go through all of you ignition components startin with plugs and work you way to the ignition module. If your not gettin spark, it could be the crank pos sensor. If you are gettin spark and nothing else works, then the ECM

Robby

i have a 94 GP and i've noticed this winter that when i start my car and it is really cold, after about 3 min of idleing at about 900 RPM, i will just lightly press on the gas to bring the RPM's up to about 1300-1500 and the engine will bog down to about 500 RPM's then kick up to where it is 'sposed to run. After the temp guage moves, this quirk goes away. Any ideas why it does this.

yeah mine has alway done that, it doesnt bog down that low. If it is at 1000rpms, then it will bog to like 650 or 700, for like a half second or less then catch back up. I dont know why it does that, mine runs fine and has always done that. I think its just because it is cold or something. Cold on motors will cause some strange things to happen

Robby

I think there is a different blend of fuel during winter as well.

Jason

Yes, they put more additives in the gas for the winter. Im not sure why, but they do

Robby

maybe that and people travel a lot for Christmas, and use more gas, b/c they let thier cars warm up more and run the defrost which hurts MPG. When demand for gas goes up, price goes up, think about Memorial Day weekend.

Robby

I wouldn't worry about it unless it does it more than once.

Are you talking about my car stalling under that condition, or what the other people are talking about? That problem witht eh car cutting out under high speed when I am going around sharp turns is happening less, but it is still happening. And everynow and then, the car does stall for no apparent reason. It will drop in idel, tehn rev high for a second, drop and sputter, rev high, drop and sputter, then die...

The car still runs fine it seems, but it still is an annoyance!

Thnaks guys for anyhelp and all

It does sound like either a bad IAC or ECM. Have you tried performing a long idle relearn?

It could be a loose wire too.

One test for the ECM is to tap on it while idling and see if the idle changes or if the car tries to stall. If it does, your ECM is bad.

It does sound like either a bad IAC or ECM. Have you tried performing a long idle relearn?

It could be a loose wire too.

One test for the ECM is to tap on it while idling and see if the idle changes or if the car tries to stall. If it does, your ECM is bad.

Whats an IAC again? and a long idle reset? just disconect the battery?

IAC = Idle Air Control. It's a little motor with a pintle attached to the throttle body that determines how much air gets around the throttle plate when the throttle is closed.

I've never had one go bad naturally, but once I thought I'd clean it and lube it. The grease broke down and became like sticky goo and the car would stall all the time when cold. All I had to do was clean it out and lube it with motor oil and never a problem since. They do actually go bad sometimes though.

Long idle reset is when you remove the ECM fuse for about 30-seconds (the one by the fuel pump relay) and then put it back in. Try to start the car WITHOUT touching the gas pedal. Once started, put the car in drive. Let run for 5-7 minutes. Shut off the ignition for 10-seconds. Restart the car and put in drive for another 5-7 minutes, then shut off the engine. The idle should be learned. This "long idle reset" has worked great on Penny's old '88 when it had a gunked up IAC and stalled all the time randomly. The long idle reset was the only one that worked.

I've heard you can do a "quick reset" by flicking the ignition on and off 5 times or so after removing the ECM fuse and reinserting it. You might try that first, but a long idle reset works the best.