Impala Seat Swap?

bluegp

My guess is that he wants to swap in the 97-03 Grand Prix Leather seats.. Seeing as how theyre literally ALL OVER ebay..

I would think they can be put in.. But I am not 100% there..

My guess is that he wants to swap in the 97-03 Grand Prix Leather seats.. Seeing as how theyre literally ALL OVER ebay..

I would think they can be put in.. But I am not 100% there..

No. They won't fit, they're different bolt patterns. You'd need spacers. :lol:

NOPE.......Just curious.....why do you need to change the back seat????
No. They won't fit, they're different bolt patterns. You'd need spacers.

Do you guys know from experience? So, the mounting points are different? (spacers - won't the offset make the seats rub on the calipers? LOL) What about the shape/dimensions of the seat - are they way different?

I was wondering if I could look at other donor cars for the seats. Right now, the 9C1 has no back seat. It's a long story, but it came that way from the police dept. The guy I got the car from has a bunch of brand-new take out police back seats being shipped and is supposed to send me one. If I get the seat, I guess I could leave it as it originally came (cloth front buckets/vinyl back - all blue). The fronts are a little beat up though. If I look for another set of seats, I guess the easiest thing to do would be to find some blue Impala seats. IIRC, only base Impalas had blue, so I'd have to get a front bench (unless I can find another set of police package seats). The police buckets feel pretty decent - nice & firm - but a little light on the side bolstering. I'd really like to have buckets and if I decide to replace them, I figured why not look into some sportier ones with their matching back seat. But then, what other compatible cars had blue interiors? Then I remembered the thread from Mommytaz about dying the seat fabric with fabric dye. I'm not too sure about that though.

I guess the 3 realistic options I have are: 1. leave as is (if I indeed receive the back seat), 2. a set of blue cloth Impala seats with front bench, or 3. blue cloth Impala back seat with original or other front buckets recovered to match.

I really don't see why it WOULDN'T fit. Okay, the bottom of the rear bench. Does it attach by clips? If so, that's just like a GP, so we know that part would fit. The rear part of the seat should be identical. I don't see why they'd change it..

great question...so with these "spacers" would you be able to swap newer seats (1997+) into a first gen W? where does one get these spacers to do this? i'm curious as hell! :mrgreen:

I tried it. spent about 3 days trying to make it work and it is not worth the effort. the front seat uses a hook not a bolt. and the back is just huge

Right, which is what I'm saying. He's not trying to put these in a first-gen. He's trying to put them in the same generation W-body. All the bottom seats on the second-gen's have the hook/release clips. The backs look all the same. I really don't see why it wouldn't work.

...not trying to put these in a first-gen...put them in the same generation W-body...I really don't see why it wouldn't work.

Exactly. I would assume the back seat has nearly the dimensions, but who knows, maybe it used different mounting points.

Huh, I was pretty sure that seats from one 2gen W-body would bolt right into another 2gen W-body. I was toying with the notion of putting leather GP seats into the Intrigue, but i don't really have that kinda money atm.