HELP... 5spd clutch actuator installation

nerfbars

I'm pretty sure I have this right but I want to double check with you guys. On the clutch actuator for a 5 spd man trans is the end that goes into the slave cylinder the end with the metal ball and then the end with the plastic ball and clip thingys goes into the transmission? Thanks in advance for the help.

clutch.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

wow that doesn't resemble my release (slave) cylinder or master cylinder at all. :?: but on mine the ball end goes into the transmission, and on the other end a hard plastic hydraulic line connects to it. what kind of car did you get the slave cylinder from? btw, i've never taken one apart...

joshua

Yeah, that's right. That's the actuator shaft removed from the slave cylinder.

The end with the metal ball and rubber boot goes inside the slave cylinder. The other end (plastic) goes into the transmission.

If the plastic retainer is still intact on the slave cylinder...It goes into the little "ears" on that plastic end of that shaft to hold the slave cylinder compressed while you install it in the transmission. Thats helps quite a bit...

Jason

Josh, its in a 88 Cutlass Supreme Int with a factory 5spd. Thanks for the info Jason. So those plastic ears are just to help hold it in place during installation? Do they have to be lined up with anything in the trans end. I thought maybe they help lock it into the trans somehow. I appreciate the info.

There is supposed to be two long tabs that come off the slave cylinder, and when you compress the slave cylinder pushrod all the way down, you can engauge those tabs to the little "ears" on the pushrod. This holds the slave cylinder compressed until you install it and push the clutch for the first time...at which point those tabs become disconnected. I wish I had a picture, but I don't.

Jason

Ok that makes sense, so the tabs are only there to help hold it in the slave while you install it. The tabs dont lock into anything in the trans then.

Nope. And usually (not always) the tabs will break after you push the clutch for the first time after install, so you really can't reuse them.

Jason

Thanks! You've been a big help! The tabs on my slave are gone so I guess I'll just have to line it up by hand. I am doing it tomorrow night so we'll see how it goes.