EGR and O2sensor ?s

cmo1234

So finally got my car running again by replacing the crank pos sensor. But now the SES is throwing a code 32 which points to the EGR. Before the car was put out of commision by the crank sensor the light would come on intermittently but now that its running again it comes steady as soon as it warms up. So while I was fixing the crank sensor I also disassembled the EGR to clean it out and make sure all the plungers were moving freely - guess that didn't help any. Also replaced the upper intake gasket, TB gasket, new plugs/wires and cleaned out a whole bunch of carbon buildup in the plenum.

Basically I'm wondering if driving around with this EGR problem until I can build up more $$$ to replace it will do any serious damage? What is the function of recirculating exhaust back into the intake anyways? Better mpg or lower emissions, something like that?

As for the O2 sensor I'm sure its never been changed in 150,000 miles so might as well also. Is that the thing poking into where the two exhaust headers meet near the firewall before it snakes down underneath the car? It has only one wire coming from it?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

The EGR valve feeds small amounts of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temp. This is to lower the NOx level. (oxides of nitrogen)

The O2 sensor is what you seen with one wire.

TRUE - thanks, but will it hurt anything big time by driving around for like 2 or 3 weeks with the EGR not doing its thing properly until i can strap a new or refurbd one on?