Lumina Euro/Z34 Guage question...

92LuminaRS

Here's a quick question, I swapped in a guage cluster from a '93 euro into my '92. It's the kind that has the voltmeter as opposed to the oil pressure gauge. Well my wuestion is how many lights are used for backlight illumination on the cluster? I just don't feel like taking apart my dash and remiving the cluster, then taking out all the bulbs and seeing which ones are for idiot lights and which ones are for the backlight illumination. I'm looking to change to colored wide dispersion LED bulbs so any help would be appreciated!

i can get a bulb count for you later today.

but a word of advice....this probably isn't the best idea. i tried l.e.d.s in a 96 dash cluster, and it was really hard to get everything to light up.

the motors for the gauges are just too bulky and they block a lot of light. plus the diffusion lenses inside don't do much when it comes to l.e.d.s.

i don't know how much wider the viewing angle is on wide-dispersion, but i would be willing to bet it's not enough to get an even glow.

anyhow good luck, i'll get the bulb counts up for you later today

Awesome, thanks alot. The wide dispersion LEDs are actually pretty good... I was amazed on how spread out it was. I'm going to only buy a few so if I don't like how it looks I won't be loosing out much. I might end up just buying colored xenon bulbs anyways.

I'm thinking the LED's are going to cost way too much, so I might just go with regular colored bulbs.

I'm after the green ones. think 1.5W would be as bright/brighter than stock bulbs? (I'm not too sure wtf the wattage is.)

7e_1.JPG

if it were me (take note that i seem to enjoy pain in the ass projects), i would still go for leds.

first, those bulbs you will have to change over time as the paint fades on them. second, the wuality of light would be much better.

but like i said before, it may be a pain to get the dash to light evenly.

Yeah, I'll definately have to make sure that their wide dispersion so it lights evenly...

These look interesting nonetheless....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8011092264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

But the same seller offers these, which look like they should work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Dashboard-LED-Bulbs-Pack-of-10_W0QQitemZ8011093826QQcategoryZ72237QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These don't look that bad either...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Bright-GREEN-Dash-LED-Twistlock-x2-Free-P-P-NEW_W0QQitemZ8012813406QQcategoryZ72237QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:shock: The guages this guy has are sick! :shock:

I just came accross these like 10 minutes ago on the domain, does anyone know this guy or how this was done? I think I have a new best idea for my guages :D

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/764487/3

While I'm at it I want to change out the bulbs in the light switch and the HVAC contorls... anyone know the bulb numbers for these? I would ike to do the door lock window lights but those bulbs are impossible to come by in their regualr form.

12 Green twistlock type 509 LEDs for $22.23 w/o shipping...

This is exactly what the people said to me...

We will gladly sell you 12 off Green 509 LEDs. Just want to make sure that, that's what you want. If the diffuser in your gauges are clear, then you will have the green effect that you want. Please understand that it will not be as bright in comparison to a filament bulb but the desired effect will be achieve. As whether it will evenly light up your gauges, there's no guarantee. All depends on how the diffuser is being designed. And you are 100% sure that your Chevrolet uses the 509 twistlock type?

Well if you are sure, for 12 off Green twistlock type 509 LEDs will be £12.80. If you like we can send you an invoice via paypal.

Kind Regards,

Purpledog Products