Twin Turbo 3100?

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

Do you think it would be possible to twin turbo a 3100? I'm thinking that would put out some serious hp. What kind of issues would one run into? Could the driveline handle it?? How about the computer?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1trucavalier

• Drache Rott

• GnatGoSplat

• Robby1870

I'm not gonna write a book at 5:00am in the morn, but if you have the money to do it and the time, then its very possible, I'll let someone else elaborate more on it as I'm about to pass out.

Im sure with enough money and resources it would be possible to squeeze two turbos into the engine compartment, but here is the catch. Have you ever heard of a Hydromatic Bomb? The trannies on these cars are all sissified and unless someone has found a decent replacement or a plan to strengthen them I wouldnt go about adding much more power to them. The Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T has the same problem. Dodge fans were excited about the new smaller pickup but were soon disenchanted when trannies started grenading on the track. Read Road & Tracks issue about them when they tested it. Reps from Chrysler were quoted as saying that the trannies were very capable with what they were designed for, but thta adding much more wouild make them very unstable and it would be destructive. I have talked to all my local speed shops and transmission shops and they all agree that the W-Bodies were very attractive from a performance point of view for thier engines and appearance but they did not have a suitable tranny and none of them new of any ways to improve them or make them bulletproof.

Guest TurboSedan

have you thought about adding a Getrag 282 5-speed and a good clutch? otherwise i know the TGP 4T60 was stronger than regualr 4T60's. both of those options tho would probably require an MPFI wiring harness but i'm not really sure...

joshua

Yeah..the 4T60 in the TGPs is beefed up from the stock 4T60. You could always try matting it with a 4T65HD tranny out of a 97+ GT/GTP. Or go with a getrag 5-spd. Depending on how much power I end up with when I'm done restoring the TGP, I may install a 5spd. :roll:

Guest RedCutlassSL

yes, I know all about the pussy trannies. I just burned through my second. Which is why the car hasn't moved in over a week and I'm buying the F-150. Now the Cutlass is simply a project car. Its life as a daily driver is over.

You would have to do a lot of custom fabrication. Like exhaust manifolds, crossovers...all that stuff a turbo needs. And, I think that it would have to be a MPFI.

What someone with a lot of time, money and ambition should do is take a 3.0L twin turbo DOHC V6 from a 3000GT/Stealth and adapt that to our cars. That motor is a transversely mounted motor, although it a AWD. Those things with some T3s on them can put some SERIOUS power to the ground.

Robby

Between the 4 GPs I've had so far, over 343,000 combined miles, I've yet to have a tranny fail on me. 3 alts., but no trannies.

8)

You've never had a 4T60-E. :)

i think it would be a waiste of money IMO. you could just get a larger ball bearing single turbo and make just as much or more power than twins. You will notice a lot of supra owners change to a single turbo set up. I was just looking at some t3/04 hybrids supporting over 500hp. Thats well past even what a 5 speed getrag and stage 4clutch would be able to handle.

Between the 4 GPs I've had so far, over 343,000 combined miles, I've yet to have a tranny fail on me. 3 alts., but no trannies.

8)

You've never had a 4T60-E. :)

Nope..I haven't, because they suck. I have 3 4T60s and a 4T65. I'd never buy a car with a 4T60E in it. :D

You might have some compression problems aside form the trans. too much compression could blow the head gasket, my buddies beretta had the old 3.1 and he put a 100 shot of nos and the head gasket blew from too much compression, but what do i know, if you have the money for twin turbo then you probably have the money for all the qorks.

compression can be worked out. You can lower it by customizing the heads or aftermarket. Exactly what you would do to them I don't know. I know you can grind and smooth out the intakes making the compression lower because more room and easier flow in and out.

Twin turbos have an advantage in that you don't have to wait for the turbo to kick in, there is always two. I've read articles were some of the 3000GT's have pushed out over 600hp, but that included a cam job, bigger turbos, exhaust etc.

Thicker head gaskets would lower compression some.

Yeah I have heard of 3000GTs like that. Some serious HP and its AWD. Yeah they all had turbo upgrades plus other stuff.

Robby

you can put on on thicker head gaskets to lower compression or just get some low compression pistons. Compression matters and doesn't matter. If your compression is higher just use less boost. Its basically the same 8.9:1 9lbs 9.5:1 4-5psi should give same hp.

Grinding and smoothing out the intake will have no effect on compression.

Compression is how much the air in the combustion chamber is compressed by the piston when both valves are shut.

It is a ratio, 9.5:1 means a given volume of air at 1ATM is compressed to fit a space 9.5-times smaller.

You can lower compression by reducing piston height, increasing deck height, or modifying the heads.

Higher compression results in better performance in NA engines, but lower compression in a turbo engine is desirable because it allows the turbocharger to achieve higher boost before experiencing preignition problems.

Grinding and smoothing out the intake will have no effect on compression.

I'm well aware of this, I probably worded it wrong. It was done on a DOHC and the guy ground down large sharp edges around his cams, intake and exhaust. Here...pics.

http://www.brian89gp.com/images/engine/head/1.jpg

http://www.brian89gp.com/images/engine/head/DSCF0056.JPG

http://www.brian89gp.com/images/engine/head/DSCF0006.JPG

It was work on the combustion chamber, sorry I didn't clarify that.

I'll throw in one thing on this....the 3000gt can be built that high BUT! every body I know that has built them that high have more tranny problems then we have ignition module problems... and the ones that have awd dont have tranny probs...because the awd transfer case always blows. It would simply seem that any time you get over 450 hp out of a fwd it frys them if you dont have major tranny mods...with 2 real exceptions....the setups on the eldorado and the intrepid.... both of them are essently rwd trannies with the tail nipped off and the differental bolted to it to shorten it up enough to fit the front end

Twin turbos have an advantage in that you don't have to wait for the turbo to kick in, there is always two.

I wasn't sure but is that because they make one smaller so that it reduces lag while the other one spools up or something? i think i might have read that somewhere...

no they put the twin turbo's on v motors...that way they can get the same air volume while running a smaller turbo..yes the smaller turbo spools up faster...but the idea is more about balancing the boost between the heads...it's hard to get proper boost balance out of a v motor and one intake and one turbo...so they run 2 indpendant intakes and 2 throttle bodies. and 2 turbos....thats why you dont see twin turbos on 4cyl and streight 6's

It would simply seem that any time you get over 450 hp out of a fwd it frys them if you dont have major tranny mods...with 2 real exceptions....the setups on the eldorado and the intrepid.... both of them are essently rwd trannies with the tail nipped off and the differental bolted to it to shorten it up enough to fit the front end

The Eldorado hasn't had that setup since 1985. 86+ have puny transverse transaxles.

Intrepids are weird. In my parrents ( an 02 ES, but with the R/T motor), the engine is mounted like its real whell drive. But if im right, its almost mounted backworads? Any clue? Of course its FWD

Jon

I'll throw in one thing on this....the 3000gt can be built that high BUT! every body I know that has built them that high have more tranny problems then we have ignition module problems... and the ones that have awd dont have tranny probs...because the awd transfer case always blows. It would simply seem that any time you get over 450 hp out of a fwd it frys them if you dont have major tranny mods...with 2 real exceptions....the setups on the eldorado and the intrepid.... both of them are essently rwd trannies with the tail nipped off and the differental bolted to it to shorten it up enough to fit the front end

Yeah those 3000GTs always blow the transfer case in AWD. Also, I have heard of the tranny itself blowing on the AWD. Most guys with them get new performance trannies with an outpust shaft with that has like double the amount of splines as the stock one. And, the manuals go through clutches like we do alternators. One of my friends has a 3000GT twin turbo, his tranny broke on him and is only pushing like 400HP. He wanted to get a perfomance tranny, but they are like 1500-2000 dollars. Those guys are crazy though, they do like 6K and 7K launches, and then complain cuz there clutches and trannies blow.

Robby