Muffler Question....

Bake82

I have an 88 cutlass and I know I need to put a muffler on it in the spring and I want to add duals...well have 2 pipes out the back, and I was wondering what kind of mufflers sound good aswell if they add any power? If you guys have any suggestions as to what you have on and how they sound/perform it would be good. BTW I'm looking for a nice throaty sound to give it osme sound but not to make it sound like a V8 or anything. Anyways thanks for you advice in advance

Magnaflows sound pretty good from what I hear. Flowmaster, gives a raspy sound. I heard Borlas sound good, but they are too quiet for my tastes. If you want to make it louder, go with a high-flow cat or no cat at all. I have a turbo tube where my cat was, with a y-pipe that goes into two mufflers. My mufflers are just some generic turbos and they sound pretty good. Get maybe 2 1/4 piping or even 2 1/2 inch. If you go with no cat, you will need something to quiet it down, i.e. turbo tube, glass pack, resonator, etc. Thats all I can think of.

Robby

I'd say go with some Dynomax super turbo's and maybe a high flow catalytic converter. I've heard the dynomax ST's on a few V6's and they're weren't all that loud but had a nice mellow rumble and they're not too expensive IIRC. Shop around at http://www.bigexhaust.com , http://www.summitracing.com , and various similar sites and compare prices...from my own personal experience I can buy mufflers cheaper off the internet than from most of the local shops. Hope this helps, and if you decide you want LOUD, then go the cheap route and keep the stock cat and put 2.5'' straight pipe with no mufflers and get some resonated tips(ANSA makes pretty good quality resonated tips that deepen the tone of the exhaust).

that's excellent, cause I'm in need of replacement mufflers, and the prices of the dynomax ST's are very good. Does anyone have them on a dual exh w-body? Which model did you use? The WLK-17762 look about right, 2" inlet, overall small size, I measured my stock mufflers and they come very close to those dimesnsions

2" offset in/Center out 4x9" or 5x8" will fit nicely. I would not recomend a chambered muffler like a flow master.

In order from Loud to quiet I recomend:

* Dynomax Ultra Flo

* Magnaflow

* Borla