GM Delco CD Players

Redfox340

By chance, out of the blue, does anyone know what GM part numbers for the Delco CD players for the 1991 - 1993 Cutlass?

Also, do all radio decks from the Generation I W-Bodies work interchangeably with same mounting brackets?

And, do non-steering wheel controled decks have the plug option of the steering wheel control? Thanks for any help!

- RedFox340

Not sure on part numbers but I do know GM no longer makes that CD player, I have one in my 91 Convertible and checked into a new one but it was no longer available, you have to send it out for repair, cost me $200, not bad if you think about it.

Jason

Guest RedCutlassSL

There is such a thing as aftermarket. Why pay that much for something that sounds like ass. Especially when aftermarket sounds so much better and has 4x times the features. I'm not trying to be an ass. I know your gonna say it keeps the stock look. But really, does that matter? Function over style.

There is such a thing as aftermarket. Why pay that much for something that sounds like ass. Especially when aftermarket sounds so much better and has 4x times the features. I'm not trying to be an ass. I know your gonna say it keeps the stock look. But really, does that matter? Function over style.

Personally i make a huge deal over keeping eveything the way it looks stock. i am completly against seat coveres and wheel covers as they ruin the nice original interior of the car. im also against non-original floor mats but im broke and cat afford to blow my money at the dealer for them so i dropped 20 bucks on a set cuz the car needs them badly. as for head units though that is my one exception. i think installation kit design makes the bulge u get from a non-gm fit HU still make it look good and a cool looking electronic device in ur dash really helps out interior appearance. if theres one thing stock i cant stand about a car, its the head unit. go aftermarket....even if its to spring $300 for a GM fit if the look of a mounting kit is that bad

Guest RedCutlassSL

there is a way to get around the bulge, simply cut out more room in the back. it can be done, i have seen it. there is none on my car, but then again, on cs, there is plenty of room back there.

The aftermarkert world has gone nuts when it comes to car audio! Too many colors and too many pictures! Plus, that sound that I put out right now is fine with me; I just want to play CD's. As for the arguement of fuction vs. style: still want the use of steering wheel controls to work... I've heard there's an adaptors / wiring harnesses... but I'm not into ripping apart and sodering in more electrical crap on my car. Plus, I am not making this thread to argue factory vs. aftermarket head-units; I'm too stubborn to switch over.

Not sure on part numbers but I do know GM no longer makes that CD player, I have one in my 91 Convertible and checked into a new one but it was no longer available, you have to send it out for repair, cost me $200, not bad if you think about it.

Who did you go through to get it repaired? But honestly, I want to know whats compatible for what I've got so I can snag another unit from a yard or Ebay. So, back to the original question... stock numbers anyone? Thanks!

- RedFox340

You can repair them yourself.. I did mine in my Lumina for $105, that's what the part cost, and then give and take a few dollars for shipping the defective part to them. PM me if your intrested in knowing more about fixing it yourself.

Delco CD players are simple to take apart, and I have a write up on my site on how I repaired mine. While yours won't look like mine, the whole procedure of taking the unit apart will be almost similar.

I kept my stock cd player in my lumina for a long time. I had a Bose preamplifier on the headunit so the speaker outputs were in preamp form rather than the conventional speaker output. From there the signal went to my EQ, and then to the amps, and it sounded exactly like my Pioneer now does. It's hard to explain how it was hooked up, mainly because not many people take the time like I did to figure out these radios. The only real reason I upgraded to the Pioneer was so I could take advantage of XM radio (without having to use a damn FM modulator)

Your best bet would probably be to check eBay for Delco CD players, and good for you, I'm too stubborn to switch over too 8)

I think aftermarket stereos are highly overrated. I replaced my stock cassette player with a Delco CD/Cassette player that I picked up on ebay almost three years ago. Haven't had any problems with it, blends completely with the dash, straight forward to use, backlighting matches the rest of the dash, and I paid less than most aftermarket units. My girlfriend has an aftermarket unit in her Beretta, the cd slot is hidden and you have to pop the face plate down to access it, the buttons are small, and most of them perform more than one function in different hidden modes for balance and fade, even simple channel seek doesn't work logically for me, and the clock doesn't stay up if there is a cd in, which will also occasionaly skip. I also have a friend with a '91 Grand Prix, and one with a '94 Century both with aftermarket CD players, which I find to be equally unfriendly to use and they all skip on bumps (I have NEVER had a CD skip in my delco CD player). I'm personally not obsessed with sound quality, and if there is a difference I don't notice it, but I do notice skipping cds, non-logical controls and the unsightly bulge. Perhaps there are superior aftermarket units available out there, but what I've seen has yet to impress me.

As far as sticking out goes, a few companies make DIN and a half size decks that fit right in the dash and dont stick out like most aftermarket decks.

Thats the kind Im considering buying for my Cutlass.

In the S10 I have a regular size aftermarket cd player and it sticks out. It is kinda ugly, but it works fine so function over form in that case I guess.

To get it repaired I went through the local Oldsmobile dealer. Just to let you guys know, I was aware that you can go aftermarket, I had a great aftermarket cd player in my 93 Cutty that I loved. However when I bought my 91 Convertible I wanted to keep it bone stock. People call me crazy and I know its not a classic car but that is part of the reason I did it. You rarely see an unmolested W-body, people always do something (aftermarket deck, tints, wheels) I myself did all of this to my old Cutlass but now I think its kinda cool to see a mint 1991 Convertible all stock. Yet I digress, CD player GM part numbers are as follows:

1990-1993 > 16146533

1994 > 16171423

Sorry I do not have part numbers for the new CD player.

Hope this helps and I am glad to hear I am not the only nut obsessed with the stock CD player :)

Jason

Yet I digress, CD player GM part numbers are as follows:

1990-1993 > 16146533

1994 > 16171423

Sorry I do not have part numbers for the new CD player.

Hope this helps and I am glad to hear I am not the only nut obsessed with the stock CD player :)

Jason,

Thank you! YOU ROCK! Don't worry about the newer ones... this will do me well! Thanks again!!

- RedFox340

Luke, I sent you an e-mail to your website about the repair. I looked on your website but couldn't find it, did you get my e-mail?

If I try and post to the forum from home (AOL) I get some stupid 'invalid session' error. I'm trying out AOL and don't like it already.

It's not actively linked on my website, but I just replied to your email with the link.

BTW, Erik, the pictures on the page work now too.. I found the problem.

my local stereo shop back home has a whole wall of stock headunits from various vehicles... i'm assuming they're from installs they do. i'll be home on srping break all next week, so if you have something in mind, i can look to see what they have.

let me know. grab me on aim or yahoo, if ya want.

It's not actively linked on my website, but I just replied to your email with the link.

BTW, Erik, the pictures on the page work now too.. I found the problem.

Luke,

Again thanks... I'll make sure to take a look this break (next week)!

my local stereo shop back home has a whole wall of stock headunits from various vehicles... i'm assuming they're from installs they do. i'll be home on srping break all next week, so if you have something in mind, i can look to see what they have. let me know. grab me on aim or yahoo, if ya want

Bender,

If you can locate a cheap, working one for reasonable price... PM me and I'll work something out with you. Thank you!

- RedFox340