HELP!!!

Guest Anonymous

You need to adjust your brake light switch. Look up under the dash behind where the arm of the brake pedal comes to a rest. Grab the body of the switch and push it towards the brake pedal arm. After you get it bottomed out, press the pedal and check for the lights to come on to be sure you didn't push the switch in too far...

Pull up on the pedal to kill the lights so they don't kill your battery. then go ahead and adjust. It's a pain in the ass, but it's been covered in depth before. If Disco's description didn't help you, use search.

Guest Anonymous

FUCK THIS CAR! The battery is dead already. The switch is broken, resetting it doesnt work. I'm not getting the car towed... it can't be jump started. becuase of the way its parked.. so fuck it up the ass, that car can sit and rot for all i fucking care.

piece of shit.

Oh no! Your brake switch went out! LET'S JUNK THE CAR.

My switch went out, but oddly enough you won't see a post about it on here. You know why? Because I didn't whine about how my car is a POS, and I fucking fixed it. Grow up, Ross. You're just like my friend Allen. You buy a car over 8-9 years old and then are suprised when things go wrong on it. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks shaun.

Upon further inspection, the switch is still in acceptable condition. I plugged the car in to my neighbors charger, and the brake lights went back on. I did the reset thing, pulled it out, it make the clickj noise and I pressed the pedal and the lights went off.

However, in doing this, i fucked up the brains of this stupid security system and now it wont disarm.

Guest Anonymous

UPDATE:

I got the charger to work and go the car running again.

If i pull the white switch thing forward, all the way forward, the brake lights go off. If i slide it back to where it should be on the pedal, or farther back, the lights stay on.

It looks like I need some sort of special tool to do the replacement? One that reaches all the way back to another clip. Has anyone done this procedure?

the same thing happened on my 88, but i didn t have the knowledge of this site at that time, so i sent it in to get fixed. Luckily i knew the mechanic. He called me and told me that they had to dismantle the whole dash just to get at it, and that it took them over 7 hours, but they said that they have never had tha kinda trouble before, so they only charged me for like 2,5 hours.

You shouldn't have to dismantle the entire dash. I did the one on the Montana and it was no where near that involved. It was a PITA backbreaker, though. That's for sure. Keep trying the adjustment procedure in the service manual. Does it not click?

Guest Anonymous

It will only click once, if i slide the adjustment arm all the way back and pull it forward, it clicks once. I think its supposed to click 3 times, and if it doesn't, its shot. I've played around with this thing forever, and still nothing. My guess is that its broken.

I have a major opstacle, the security system's brains are right above the brake pedal, and there are literally 40 wires so its hard to get at. Also, i'm simply too big to fit in there, i can barely get in to see the arm. my FSM's directions are so vague and abstract, its of no help.

I'm probably going to pull the one out of the red car so I don't have to buy another one, i'm not sure how much they are. I dont know what the hell im gonna do to get it fixed either, as i simply cannot get back there and im not paying to fix this thing. I came upstate to run errands today and i can't becuase of this stupid car. But i would like members to chime in on HOW they pulled out the upper clip by the firewall, etc, becuase thats what i really need. The search thing only leads to "yeah you need to replace the brake light switch", and not details on how to do that.

i had the same problem with mine

consider switching to the 93? and up brake light switch. i didn't know how to get the switch out of my 90 (i eventually tore it out a piece at a time because it pissed me off), and i didn't know how to adjust it at the time, so i switched to the plunger-style switch. very simple install

Remove the arm thing from the side of the pedal.

Do you see that hook thing? #6 in the bottom diagrams? You beed to get that all the way to the top of it's adjustment slot. It will be free to move a bit without clicking once it's where you want it. After that, put the arm back on the pedal and push the pedal all the way to the floor. It should make a bunch of clicks and should be adjusted. do NOT pull up on the pedal.

check to see how many plunger thing s there are. one will be for cruise control. if you only see one, and it has a black rubber hose on it, t is for cruise.

then you can still switch to the plunger switch for your brake lights