Weird noise when turning...advice needed

Grand Moff Joseph

Over the last few days, I have been hearing a very strange sound coming from the front end of my car, and I am stumped as to the cause of the noise.

Specifically, the noise only occurs when I am making a sharp turn (ie-pulling into a parking space), with the wheel is turned all the way in one direction. Now, I know the power steering on these cars in kind of noisy anyway, but in this case, when I turn the wheel all the way to one side, I hear this very loud groan/whine coming from the front end. This does NOT sound like the typical high pitched squeal one traditionally hears in a car with bad power steering. This is more of a medium tone.

I had my mechanic check the power steering pump/lines, and he found no leaks and plenty of power steering fluid to go around. However, I can only think of two possibilities: the power steering pump, or something in the steering gear.

Any ideas/suggestions are always welcome.

Thanx!

GMJ

my car does this. It's the rack and it was confirmed by it starting to leak, then my mechanic diagnosing it. I got a used rack for free out of my friends car, but I'm waiting until I lose all powersteering before I choose to change it. It's not all that annoying; it's a medium toned moaning when the steering wheel gets moved fast from one way to another.

Based on your response, that answers my next question, which was to confirm that our cars have rack & pinion style steering.

That being said, any idea what finally causes these to fail? How much do they cost to replace?

Well as far as I know, a rack and pinion from a store such as Advance Auto or something is about $100 but don't quote me I'm not exactly sure. Install is expensive on our cars because you have to do A LOT to put it in. This is why I am waiting until it is completely dead. My mechanic advised me to do so, as it will be an expensive task.

I've seen some posts in the Brakes/Steering section about racks and stuff. Try a search and see if you come up with anything. I'll do a search and post something if I find info you can use.