Battery Voltage...

19Cutlass94

I duno if this happens to anyone else, but Ive noticed lately that when its cold outside (like it has been lately) my battery volts is like anywhere from 14.4-14.8v When its warm outside like during the summer, my battery voltage was like mid 13v, high 13v at most. I know heat kills batteries, but still. Is this something to be concerned about or no? Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well.

yea i noticed the same thing here im in new england and the gauge stays up better when its cold out but when im at a stop light without my system pumping in the summer the batter gauge takes a big crap on me

It's good to have 14volts...don't worry about it. That's why when someone asks how their alternator is is...we always say check the output with a voltimeter and make sure it's above 14volts.

the guage in my RX-7 while running is always higher 14.8 volts or so

Well anyway, I wouldn't worry

It's always higher when it's cold. I think it has something to do with resistance when it is warmer. :shrug:

this is true. You'll also notice that if your car is idling in traffic and the engine heats up more, the voltage should drop a notch.

Texas Instruments has giant testing facilities that contain electromagnets that are made of superconducting metal which is then placed in liquid nitrogen. The result is the ability to generate a magnetic force several orders of magnitude larger than that of earth.

Texas Instruments has giant testing facilities that contain electromagnets that are made of superconducting metal which is then placed in liquid nitrogen. The result is the ability to generate a magnetic force several orders of magnitude larger than that of earth.

:dunno:????

My city has an electron microscope...I dunno what your saying :dunno: :(:(

My city has an electron microscope..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just thought it was interesting. Sorry for being a dork :lol:

I was trying to show an example of how the colder the wires get, the less resistance they have. liquid nitrogen is really cold, like if you put your hand in it say goodbye to your hand, you won't ever have to worry about carpel tunnel syndrome :wink:

anyway, so the more power they can push through the electromagnet, the more powerful it becomes..

yeah, this isnt goinng anywhere so I'm gonna stop. sorry for hijacking this thread with my dorky comments :oops:

yes is normal for ur volt meter to be higher when colder,and yes it will drop from about 14.4 - 13.8 or so due to batterys dont like the heat that our 60 degrees(well most of us) put out, i know that im condidering a battery relocation for mine due to my somewhat expansive battery

Once I get my new stereo, Im going to up grade to a deep cycle battery. Think this would help any? I kinda had a feeling thats what it was, just becasue of the heat. But the cd player that I have actually measures the battery voltage (I know its correct because Ive measured the battery in volts and had a frien look at the cd player at the same time, it matched everytime.) and Ive also noticed that when Im in park and I have my foot on the brake, and shift it into drive, the voltage drops to like 12v then shoots back up. I dont think its a problem, but could that be a result of the battery as well?