Volts and Anti lock light on, help

thasty

The latest problem... i was leaving school and bam, the strange smell of burnt peanuts for about a minute and then the VOLTS and ANTI LOCK light came on the dash. Im leaning towards an alternator??

I know the previous owner put in a Delco one about 2 years ago... but my power steering line went and maybe caused a leak into the alternator??? Any idea what it could be before i rip out the Alternator. I also have a remote start that use to act up but have been using lately if that has anything to do with it

Thanks for the help.

Tighten down all of your battery cable connections first, especially the nut on the Auxillary Positive post (on the driver's side fusebox.)

What shape is your battery in? In addition to the alternator taking a crap, it's possible that the battery could be on its way out as well.

I'm not sure but I dunno if PS fluid is really bad for the alternator. One "mechanic" I know said all it would do it stop if from rusting, but I'm not too sure he knows everything.

Yeah, I had my ABS light come on today. Just like last year when it was cold out, I tightened down that f'n auxillary pos. post bolt, it just seems to come lose every year no matter how tight I turn it!!! I'll know tomorrow if my ABS light stays off cause i did it when i got home after work today.

The smell of something burned would indicate more then just tightening down cables IMHO...however tighting the cables is free, while replacing a battey or alternator costs money

I tightened all the connections and charged the batter but the VOLTAGE light is still on. Anyway to find out which it is, battery or alternator? I looked for a date on the battery, but found nothing. thanks for all the help, any other ideas?

FWIW: When my GP's alt finally went, I had the smell of burnt smores, so I'd definitely get the alt tested. Your battery is most likely the only source of power right now, and that won't last long.

Could the fact that my mechanic ripped off the plastic around the passanger tire (splash guard)? have anything to do with it? I noticed it today when i was looking at the alternator, the entire piece is gone.

Does anyone have a write up on alternator replacement? Im just kinda hesitant because i never took off a serp belt.

i think he means the lower one that hangs down by the cradle, which would help protect the alternator on a 3.4 DOHC Car (which i am assuming by the fact that its a 95 Z34)

Actually, the one that protects the ECM that just clips on is only found in the older cars...94's definately don't have those

I would say alternator and if you've never taken off a serpentine belt, then I recommend you prolly have someone change that PITA Alternator for you. There is a write up here for it if you want to attempt it though.

They're easy to replace if you have a breaker bar to pull those subframe bolts, and the front subrame bolt doesn't strip out because you're a dumbass and used a 12-point socket. FUCK! Any other ides for getting that POS bolt out?

I've never had to use a breaker bar...

Anyways, I'm assuming you stripped it, correct? If so, they make sockets for stripped bolts. I think you can pick them up at any auto parts store, sears, home depot, lowes.

If it does get stripped....and you have an extra hour lol...you could do like my uncle and fuckin file the bolt head down to the next size lol....

Chirst, my uncle has time on his hands!