Boost Gauges

Dirty Rockstar

I have some questions on boost gauges.. Really, just one.. I want to know ig there is currently out there an LED boost gauge that is a sweep style, or instructions on how to make one.. I have searched the net beofre and found some vague info on them, but I want to know if this could be a neat DIY.. Oh, I should also mention that I need to be able to mimic GMs Digital Dash tech. from the 80s.. THanks guys.. 8)

I'm sure you could make one using a MAP sensor and a recalibrated A/F ratio gauge. You would need a pretty good electronics background and test/calibration equipment though. Its a novel idea though :D I might try it

Would anybody interested in A/F style boost gauges? I'm thinking I could redo them with blue, red, or yellow LED's. Blue would be expensive...

But it's possible to make a boost gauge out of an A/F gauge. You just need a MAP sensor and the right circuit to translate the signals.

Would anybody interested in A/F style boost gauges? I'm thinking I could redo them with blue, red, or yellow LED's. Blue would be expensive...

But it's possible to make a boost gauge out of an A/F gauge. You just need a MAP sensor and the right circuit to translate the signals.

DO IT! try to match some of the interior light colors though, i.e. not just "red" but that orange tinted red for GPs, that teal green for Cutlasses.. you get the idea. You'd be my hero.

It would be really expensive...eeek...maybe I could do it to the cheap A/F gauges you can get on ebay. I'd also need to find a MAP sensor and build a sending unit for it. Maybe I could tweak it to use the OEM signal. It would be really cool though. Anybody have the outputs for an OEM map sensor?

Guest TurboSedan
I have some questions on boost gauges.. Really, just one.. I want to know ig there is currently out there an LED boost gauge that is a sweep style, or instructions on how to make one.. I have searched the net beofre and found some vague info on them, but I want to know if this could be a neat DIY.. Oh, I should also mention that I need to be able to mimic GMs Digital Dash tech. from the 80s.. THanks guys.. 8)

honestly i think you might be confusing that with the LED narrow band A/F gauge. maybe i'm wrong. but still, why would you want an LED boost gauge? talk about hard to read! when you have a turbocharged car on your hands and are dialing in the MBC or an overboost eliminator, you will realize that you need something that is VERY accurate and an LED boost gauge will NOT cut it. get yourself a good electronic boost gauge (a NEEDLE gauge). i will say that i DO NOT recommend AutoMeter's mechanical boost gauges. they suck the big one. go with an Autometer electronic boost gauge. if you want a boost gauge that compliments the UB3 then do what Davis did with his digital guages. they are very nice, but it would still drive me nuts not seeing a needle.

Guest TurboSedan

yes, the Autometer Phantom series 20/30 vac/boost gauge that was in my Lebaron & Cutlass, and sl3196 has the same problem with his in his GTP, and my brother has the same problem in two of his three Turbo Dodges. they read 1-2psi with the key on engine off. maybe it is our altitude that is throwing them off? (4500ft). mine always read 2psi with the key-on-engine-off. i know alot of people on turbododge.com had the same problem with their Autometer mechanical boost gauges. no way would i buy another one.

I have the Autometer Pro-Comp series mechanical boost gauge in my Capri. Its always been on the 0 mark. I't dangled from a mangled pillar pod for a few weeks, then bounced around my back seat and then the trunk for a while. Still reads fine. :shrug: