Bri-Guy-GA

Hi,

I am looking at buying a '90 Grand Prix, McLaren edition here in GA. I am moving from a '87 Conquest TSI and was wondering what differences I can expect? The Quest handles like its on rails and with the upgraded 16G tubo could run rings around most ricers. How does the TGP compare performance wise to the Quest?

I have always like the Grand Prix and to find a turbo is a bonus.

finding a turbo is a definite bonus :D since less than like 5,000 were made within 89-90.

im not 100% certain, but your conquest will probably handle better stock, as well as perform better

but those can change quickly :wink: just hit up the Turbo Grand Prix part of this board for any questions!!

and get some pics up if you get it!!!

Thanks guys. One question.

In the description for the car he says that it had an exhaust leak (Y pipe I guess) and runs rough along with possibly running rich. Other than a full tune-up and oil change any other problems those symptoms can be? I already have a tempermental car and would rather find a more reliable one, in a sporty style I like.

If it has an exhaust leak, it's most likely the exhaust crossover. The stock ones are prone to cracking and leaking. Not a really major fix.. Jeff M sells far superior built ones here on the board.

That car is still for sale? From the description, it sounds like one I asked about that was located somewhere just east of Atlanta(can't remember the exact location). Is it black with about 70,000 miles on it? :wink: If it's the car I'm thinking of, it probably doesn't have too much wrong with it at that mileage. As far as performance goes, a good running stock TGP should be capable of low 15's. They handle alright for 3300-3400lb FWD cars, but the handling is nothing special.

BTW, I have a black 1990 TGP and live a little ways south of Athens. I have a chip, K&N filter, and custom catback exhaust on the car and ran a 14.7 at the Atlanta Dragway last year. I should be able to knock off another tenth or two with a better launch at the track on my street tires. Our transaxles probably wouldn't like any drag radials or slicks until it's rebuilt with that in mind. :wink:

Man, Matt.. we need to race. Too bad you'll own me :lol:

I'm thinking about heading up to the Atlanta Dragway Friday. :wink: I think a few other GP's might be going as well.

hey matt, would this happen to be the TGP you were trying to get me to buy :)

pics!

Yep :wink: , I'd have to dig up the pictures of it, I think I threw them on a cd and deleted them from the computer.

The car is in Alpharetta and has just shy of 70K on it. I am going to look at it Saturday. Will let you know. Will have to see how it compares to my Quest. You just get so used to feeling the boost as you hit the gas. I do have to say I won't miss the shifting in Atlanta traffic.

The car is in Alpharetta and has just shy of 70K on it. I am going to look at it Saturday. Will let you know. Will have to see how it compares to my Quest. You just get so used to feeling the boost as you hit the gas. I do have to say I won't miss the shifting in Atlanta traffic.

Yep, pretty sure that's the one I was thinking of. I think the guy with it wanted around $3K or just under that for it, which isn't bad for the mileage. It appeared to be in pretty nice condition aesthetically. Do you ever see any TGP's in your area? The majority of them in GA that I know about are located very near to you.