Is there a short shifter kit for a 282?

GrandPrixGTP95

The throw on my 282 is huge. My beretta GTZ I had a while back had a 282 as well, and the guy before me had a short shifter in the car that he left, and it shifted so smooth and it was a LOT shorter than the throw in the gp. I havent really looked around for one yet, but I figured you guys would be able to point me in the right direction if something was available.

Your best bet is to find a shift handle from a car that has a short throw already, and see if you can mod it onto your existing assembly.. Or grab the whole thing and try adding it to your car, or cut and weld the one in your GP as short as you want.. Just make sure you can weld real well so it doesnt snap when you downshift :lol:

I've never drove a 5-speed w-body, but from the pics it looks like shifting a broom handle! :lol:

well, i've never driven a 284, but i have driven two 282's, and the throws were incredibly long.

I've never drove a 5-speed w-body, but from the pics it looks like shifting a broom handle! :lol:

well, i've never driven a 284, but i have driven two 282's, and the throws were incredibly long.

Our 282 has a shorter throw than our '83 Mustang GT with the SROD...you guys obviously have never driven...lets say a 5-speed 1st gen dakota..

Our 282 has a shorter throw than our '83 Mustang GT with the SROD...you guys obviously have never driven...lets say a 5-speed 1st gen dakota..

My buddy has a 96 Dakota and i swear to god he almost punches his dashboard with every upward shift. Poor cd player is gunna get a good smack one of these days

Cut 2 inches of my GP shifter in the TURBO CS and put a pilot brand shift knob on and it is much better.

Was your shifter the screw on type?

Us 284 guys don't have the convience of that. :bash:

I have a Fiero shifter sitting my garage. One day I'll mod it to fit.

the fiero shifter won't fit directly in place of the 282/4 shifter?

i've got on in my garage for some reason. it'll fit on retta and cavalier shifter assemblies with no problem. i've never seen a w-shifter so i'm not entirely sure what they look like

I've thought of doing it to my car...but the fact that it has the 3100 engine...which was never hooked to a manual transmission in a factory application seems like the real problem.

Plus, you'd have even more work to do since there isn't just a console that "bolts in" for a stick shift.